There are some plain weird sandwiches on sale in some places here.

Last night I saw a potato salad and spagetti sandwich. On the usual lifeless, tasteless bread they insist on using of course.

I remember a curry and egg one as well a while back.

Any other bizarre combinations?

And why can't they get rid of that awful 'bread'? I'm sure the masses would appreciate some quality bread as the basis for their butties.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peanut butter, honey and cheese used to be a fave of mine as a kidlet. (Yeah, many moons ago, I know, I know!)

Another was PB, Vegemite and honey. Yummmmmo!

I used to buy those horrid horseshoe rolls with highschool butter (it had a very distinctive taste - I think it might have been mixed up from a powder) and vegemite for my school lunch, then stuff a bag of Samboy Salt and Vinegar Crisps (Chips) inside it - my friends thought I was nuts!

Since then I have found about 5 other people who used to do that as a kid.

My other favourite but strange sandwich is sliced pickled onion sarnies on soft white bread spread with soft fresh butter.

Mate I taught with once used to buy a bread roll, buttered, then shove a sausage roll and sauce in it. He called it his "sausage roll roll". Far too much pastry/bread for my taste.

I'm with you MB LOVE vegemite and potato crisp sandwichs, nothing better than fresh bread vegemite and squashing crisp chip sandwichs YUMMY

Yeah wonder why I can't fit in my pants anymore!!!!!!

Oh heres another bizzare sandwich for you a friend of ours has fresh bread and sultana's!!

Originally Posted By: thursday
back in student days, the GF had nothing for a sandwich, so she made me a ketchup and mustard sandwich. Nice girl.

My neighbor when I was a kid used to make ketchup and mayonnaise sandwiches.

It might if we had a clue what you are talking about! (a butt is the rear end of something?) the concept of dripping bums is not to be discussed in a food thread!

Originally Posted By: Weegeoff
Has anyone ever had dripping butties. worship or dose this give my age away.

That is something I certainly had as a child...to even think about it now sends my artery's into congestive fits!

After the weekend roast there is a lot of fat that is retained from the cooking process - beef dripping, lamb dripping - whatever... Once cooled and set it can be used like butter, spread onto soft white bread and sprinkled with salt (just to add to the heart attack).

My mother used to eat them often, so I followed suit.
Not a thing I would eat now though.
Originally Posted By: Weegeoff
Has anyone ever had dripping butties. worship or dose this give my age away.

I know what your talking about Geoff, a real Heart attack on a sandwich!!!

I think you are showing your age, I've never had one, but my dad used to eat them when he was a kid.
Beef Dripping-soaked sandwich....sounds all kinds of nice

Weird ones here....Strawberry n cream cheese, Yaki soba

These Dutch guys I travelled with liked PB and Cheddar Cheese, I used to eat Tomato sauce sandwiches and Brown Sauce sandwiches when I was a kid. I also put a square of my mum's homemade lasagna on a roll once, it was very good!! Left over Donner meat on toast, a very good morning after snack. I know people who put Scotch pie and tomato sauce onto a roll

Awww..let's face it...whatever taste good on it's own can taste GREAT wrapped in good bread.

And now you have me dreaming about chip butties and lasagne sandwiches when I am doing my utmost to NOT eat carbs! veryangry