What are your first memories?

Mine are at about 4 years old. Playing on the railway track at Claremont. Collecting cartridge shells from Swanbourne firing range. Wandering to Cottesloe beach. Toying with the sap from the Norfolk Island Pines.

No2 son took his first unsupervised walk from here aged 9. I love to see young children roaming safely here. It's a freedom which is now denied in the west.

Under two years old. Sitting at the top of the stairs crying and then being held by my mum as she carried me saying, "It's alright Jayne, you've just had an electic shock. Let's go downstairs and have some Jelly Babies". Then I remember her opening the cupboard in the kitchen to get the Jelly Babies but I don't remember eating them.

I don't remember the actual shock but aparently I touched some live wires that my parents didn't think were connected. My mum said I was quite a bit under two but I remember that moment and my mum's exact words really clearly. My dad connected the live wires into a power point (240v in the UK).

I have quite a few memories from nursery school (aged 2 1/4 to 4) but I think that one is the earliest.

Being belted in the forehead with a lump of timber by my brother. I had blood running down my face. I can even remember seeing red through the blood (maybe i imagined that bit). My dad bought me a match box car for being a brave little boy while the doctor stitched me up.

aged 3

I electrocuted my little brother when he was about 2. I found an old plug with wires hanging out, plugged it in and he grabbed it. I remember getting a kick out of watching him shake.

I have a very very vague memory of my Grandfather who passed away when I was two years old.

I remember being held by him and how he smelled, but there is no vision attached to my memory - I recall it best when I close my eyes and think about him. I was the only Grandchild he got to know - there were two more on the way when he died suddenly of a heart attack.

My mother often showed me photographs of him (her father in law) and talked about him with me as I grew up, and I think it was this constant reminder that refreshed that old memory over and over through the years and made it stick.

When I recall this man who I only knew for my first two years I have an overwhelming feeling of being loved and safe. Pretty huge impact in such a short time!

I have similar memories of my grandmother, Mamabear, though maybe not quite as young as 2.. more like 4 or 5. Other than that I have very few very early childhood memories.