I went to have some ramen last night in London at a place called Wagamama. Had a Japanese person with me for some extra critique but, was not impressed. *what did I expect.

A bowl of ramen for 9 quid - about 1900 yen! - and some lifeless and tasteless gyoza for 5 quid - 1000 yen! We had 50% off tickets and still felt royally ripped off for what really wasnt very good.

I will be looking forward to my first bowl of decent ramen on return.

Wagamama is well known as being total crap. Its just a novelty place where they use wireless radio/remote control thingys to take the orders.

I went to the Camden one to celebrate getting on the JET program back in early 2001.

There is one here in Subiaco...I have never been, but friends love it.

I enjoy two other local Japanese resturants - thier food is good - but they are run and staffed by Japanese, and there is a huge amount of ex-pat Japanese eating there .... have a look around your Wagamama - if the patronage is all Brits chances are you are gonna be disappointed after eating Ramen in Japan.

Maybe worth sticking to Pie and Chips, Pints, and Pasties while you are in the old Dart!

THought it was ok when I went, but of course nothing like a good ramen here and way way too expensive. No Japanese on the staff as far as we could see, my Japanese friend wasnt too impressed with that. *Discuss!

Quite different. I had a spicy chicken one with some decent pieces of chicken breast in there. Nothing like what we got back in Japan and the noddles were more soba than ramen - perhaps - but it sure was expensive.

I had ramen in Wagamama's in Islington and it was good. Ok, not up to ramen in Asahikawa, but for outside Japan I was happy.

It sounds like it's variable between the various franchises.

Does anyone know if there are any "proper" ramen places in London?