In the other moiwa thread TB brought up the subject of timeshares. Never really heard of it in Japan, though there are thousands of places in the UK, UK and Europe that I know of that you can swap for etc.

Is it not popular at all here?

In Japan, pretty much everyone gets the same holiday, so sharing weeks between different folk is a bit of a non-starter. Everyone would want New Year, Golden Week and Obon.

There are agencies that rent out holiday homes when their (100%) owners aren't using them though.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Isn't timeshare just a big scam? I thought all that died out in the early 90s...

I alwyas thought it had too but I know people who swear by it. I know people who have bought places in Thailand and others with places in Hawaii who love it. There is one hotel chain that I know of (no names please) that has a really big set up with all sorts of global reward and exchange benefits. Seems like the idea is that a person buys into one resort but can swap time in that place for time at other places and stuff like. Isn't quite my cup of tea though.

As I posted in the other thread:

My parents have one.

Fantastic place it is, very luxurious, very select, they love going there every year. It is kept to the same high standards that it was 15 years ago when they bought it. 6 people can very comfortably stay there and they pay around 500 quid a year for maintenance. Works out extremely cheap for what it is.

If it is a 'scam', my parents are very willing participants.

Never heard of it here.

I know some people back home who have a place in Spain and have been there only twice in 15 years - they 'swap' it for places all over the world, comparable quality, and seem to think it's a great idea.

It certainly has not died out.