it depends on your intended riding style.

i am also 180cm, started with a 167cm board...it was way too long for anything but dedicated powder riding. got a 156 last year and its much more fun in the park and for larking on the hill.

now on a working comprise, i am about to deflower a 161cm.

i would recommend something around 160cm, up or down a few cm depending on your riding stlye, and also your weight. tryrenting a few sizes first.

I'm 180cm and 98kg. I ride a Burton Cascade 168, but only use it for powder. I used to ride a custom 164. I learned on a 156.

The shorter the board, (within reason) the easier to control. I'd say somewhere around 160 to learn on, something a little longer if you want to venture into deep powder, shorter if you're inclined toward the park.

I'd say the opposite. The shorter the board, the more unstable you are. Control is something you learn, whatever you're riding, but instability is instability.

If you want to be keeling over backwards, get a shorter board.

(miteyak and I don't see eye to eye on this.)

...and the adjudicator says..

Its easier to learn on a smaller board because you have less surface area touching the snow, making you go slower. You also have less surface area outside of your feet (edge of binding to tip) so a smaller board is easier to control and move around.

It's easier to learn on a larger board because you have a larger surface to stand on and longer edges for a bigger control interface with the snow. It's easier to learn when every slight and inadvertent movement you make isn't translated into a wild movement of the board leading to you keeling over. (It's quite hard to learn while lying on your back with people riding over your goggles). In short, the board isn't what's known as 'squirrely', for its tendency to run all over the place gathering nuts.

The very slight extra force required to initiate turns on a longer board is more than compensated for by the stability it provides. If you do decide to get a shorter board, better get a helmet with good padding on the back.

I learned on a board that was too short for me, and my friends kept telling me that the 169 I ordered was too long and I would struggle. As I expected, it was nonsense.

If you're into 'spining big air' and the park go for a smaller board.

If you enjoy the whole mountain try a bigger one.

Smaller boards are more flexible and easier to move around once you've passed the remo stage, while bigger boards are less flexible but give you more security and control when you're motoring a touch.

My opinion, everyone has one....I learnt on a 156, learning to carve on a smaller board is a benefit in the long run.

Quote:
It's easier to learn on a larger board because you have a larger surface to stand on and longer edges for a bigger control interface with the snow
Having a larger surface area to stand on has nothing to do with your ability to control the board, especially as a beginner. Widen your stance on a shorter board ie from 20inches to 24inches and you'll have more balance, hence control over any board. As a beginner, most people will have a tendancy to whip their boards around from heel to toe rather than edge to edge which I think is what you are refering to here Ocean

Quote:
The very slight extra force required to initiate turns on a longer board is more than compensated for by the stability it provides.
Smaller boards are also easier to manouver when you are lying on your back after someone has just ridden over your head. Once you're able to control the board on the snow size doesn't matter except in extreme circumstances ie 5ft girl with 6ft powder board.

I think all boarders would happily get into a debate about who has the more adequate 'stick'.

Good length and great width is the case with most boards.

Ski on the other hand can be percieved as a bit long and skinny..and whats the second one for?? lol.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by neversummer:
....and whats the second one for?? lol.gif
Never harm in being prepared for anything and everything now is there.

Rattlers. Can't say I actually know what you mean by that O11. I can't find it in my word book.