I have just spent the last 2 hours cleaning up my (computer) desktop. 121 icons there were on there, built up over the last few weeks. I'm just terrible at organising things.

How do you organise files you create on your computer? I need ideas to make my system better get a system!

smile

mine are separated by committees that Im on, classes I teach, homeroom stuff, admin stuff, track and field, and then have sub folders within those for various stuff.

...wait wait wait, those were all on your desktop? Nuts man, I have 9 on my desktop - much prefer looking at nice wallpapers than that crap. I was thinking under my documents...nevermind.

I keep my current work on my desktop but if it gets more than say 20 icons I start putting them into folders. I hate nagging jobs that just sit and sit and sit because you are waiting on other people for months, they clog my inbox and desktop.

You have stuff "stored" on your desktop?? WTF?

Any stuff you store on your desktop makes it slower to start up. Icons that are shortcuts take least time, they are simply a link, but if you put a folder of stuff there, the OS has to load ALL of the contents to the desktop EVERY time you start the machine.

I have shortcuts to stuff on my desktop, the stuff itself is stored in folders on a network drive, categorised by what it is related to (ie home, grove, cars, weather, etc) and then subcats as required (ie cars/Navara and cars/Jimny).

As CB said, the desktop is for wallpaper, not icons! and certainly NOT folders of stuff!

'Tis true! Everything that is on the desktop has to be reloaded from the drive every time the box is started. So, if the desktop folder has a big JPEG file in it, it will load the whole picture before you can get to use the machine. The more stuff you have on your desktop, the slower the startup.

Mainly just startup time, but it is not a recommended thing in any case. Files stored on the desktop are vulnerable to attack.

121 grungy?, damn...... thats a heap.

I had to laugh, I had a client once who complained that his I.T. guy cleaned up his desktop, to help speed up the machine.

he complained because he liked the folders on the desktop so he knew where everything was =)

ahahah. just like the girl at work here who had 1GB of content on her desktop, and complains because her computer runs slowly lol

i personally like to categorize jobs, and have a tiered subcategory structure. but sometimes i am lazy, collect em all up, and label it "sort", then forget about it, go back after 6 months, and dlete cos i don't need it =)

aaah. Defrag baby!

Take JA's advice!

My desktop sometimes gets to be a mess. I have a habit of saving files I create in a rush to the desktop with the intention of cleaning up later. Sometimes that doesn't happen.

No need to shout at me! smile

This is why I am asking for advice. As someone else mentioned I often clean it up but usually when I'm doing things I can't be bothered to find a folder and the idea is to sort it out later. Unfortunately later comes much later. I will try to be better.

(There's no space on your desktop for any more icons, soubs) wink