We've had the carpets-and-dribbly-showers-in-bathrooms-being-silly discussion, but here's another.

Now I've been here a fair bit, always seems strange the toilet being next to bath or next to the washing basin in a bathroom. Hmmm, not nice idea. Much prefer a separate room.

But my sis back home doesn't like that and rather it be in there.

I'm not really fussed one way or another.

I prefer toilets that are separate because you can have one person using the loo and someone else using the shower/bath/vanity basin - but if time is short to get ready and out the door, and someone is 'busy' on the loo it is not nice to be in there with them!! Separate is good for that reason.

However I do like having a hand basin in the same room as the toilet - it seems cleaner to be able to wash your hands before touching a door handle than having to leave that room to wash your hands.

We are lucky to have enough bathrooms and toilets to have the best of all worlds nowdays, but I do remember the old days of knocking on the bathroom door begging hubby to hurry in the shower so I can pee!

Ah one of those issues. People I know back home the same brit-gob and I definitely prefer the setup here. Having said that, a few friends back home have recently had new bathrooms done and they are very nice, even if there's a toilet plonked in there. Definitely improving!! I still like the enclosed rooms where I can splash about as much as I want smile

what are you people missing? A naked poop and then a long shower, what more do you want?

Of course for the guest "rest room" I'd have just the toilet and a comfortable wash basin with large mirror and bright lights.

We have a 3-way bathroom, with toilet, shower and basin in separate areas. That, as Mama says, allows for dual occupancy and reduces the "line up" for the loo while someone washes their hands.

What I can't get my head around is the American obsession (and fast becoming an Australian usage, too) with avoiding the word "toilet". They ask for the bathroom, and get upset when they are told "we're at school, there are no bathrooms, the toilets, however, are over there!"

Students used to get a panic attack when I refused to allow them to go to the "bathroom" because there wasn't one.

No, thanks. I would be rather uncomfortable in there (to say nothing of how uncomfortable the ladies would feel!)

If you have an ensuite/2nd bathroom and toilet, its a moot point. When I was younger I liked having a seperate room, so that no one had to smell/hear my toilet noises, but the Japs have that figured anyway... they have soft music playing and shower toilets.

Nowadays, I prefer them all in one room. We usually have 2 toilets and bathrooms, so having them in the same room saves cleaning time....

what I have never understood about American vernacular concerning the loo is calling it a "restroom". I have never rested in there in my life, and after a night of heavy drinking and late night kebab with extra chilli sauce, its anything but restful!!!

"bathroom" is even worse! Have you ever bathed in a dunny? ... and was that before, or after ____?

Not in my place, they are separate! And, at school, there are NO bathrooms, so ... Go figure!