I have never been to Hong Kong, but I would like to visit.

I know there are a number of people on here from there - do you guys live in the middle of it all, so to speak, or in quieter parts? (Do quiet parts exist?)

If you wanted a day out in the countryside, for example, is that possible?

Yes it is very possible. 70% of land area in Hong Kong is country side.

If you want city, you'll get city.

If you want beach, you'll get beach.

If you want countryside, you'll get country side.

All within 30 mins and all reachable by public transport.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
Yes it is very possible. 70% of land area in Hong Kong is country side.

If you want city, you'll get city.
If you want beach, you'll get beach.
If you want countryside, you'll get country side.

All within 30 mins and all reachable by public transport.

You make it sound almost pleasant. wink Thursday omitted a couple of other features of Hong Kong:

If you want a serious respiratory illness - go to the city
If you want a serious bacterial infection - go to the beach
If you want see dog eating pythons - go to Sai Kung (not such a bad thing given the numbers of dogs in Sai Kung)

I'm being overly harsh. There are great restaurants and shops and still a lot of greenery and bushland here and when the sky is clear - like now - Hong Kong is one of the most amazing places you'll ever see. Really, simply stunning in a Sydney Harbour, Rio De Janeiro kind of way with dozens of islands rising steeply out of the ocean all the way to the horizon. It is such a great tragedy that for most of the year the pollution is so bad that one can barely see across the harbour. Lots of running trails through the hills too, where you can completely disconnect from the city and still be only 30min walk from home. But the pollution......

RD is being kind. This place sucks. lol

That dog taken by the python, my friend told me about that. It was in his neighbourhood. And there were times snakes entered his living room at night, through the dog vent.

Don't forget the 7's!! Possibly one of the best weekends I have had for a long time (if you are into rugby and foolishness!), will be there again next year for a chaps stag do, let the stink begin!

Hong Kong is one of the most polluted places on Earth. Everyone who lives there wants to leave. That is why the native Chinese all have overseas passports. The reason they stay is getting rich. If your idea of fun is to eat and breathe poison and get rich, HK is a great place.

No. Soubs, :slapwrist: that is not true. Hong Kong is where 1.2 billion Chinese want to be. The other 100 million want to be in Beijing or Shanghai.

The air can get really bad at times, but that is no fault of Hong Kong. It's the fault of the soup dragons on the mainland. But on a good day, it is a place to enjoy.

The passport thing. It's just a travel document and that is it. Those who got their Canadian citizenship for instance are most welcome to stay there. But they don't. Those traitors should just go back home to CANADA.

This is the test question I always ask CBCs BBCs ABCs. If there was a war, between China and your adopted country, and you had to fight, which side would you be on. I hope there would never be such a situation, but I have my answer prepared.

Ooops, forgot to mention. I have an EU passport and an SAR one. I will gladly drop one of them like a bad habit if those b'stards decide to tax citizens residing overseas.

I loved Hong Kong when I went. I was just such a mad mix of so many things, sensory overload. I don't think I would want to live there, but that's true of any huge city. But I really liked it. It is definitely worth a visit.