I know a few people who are living on their monthly wages and not saving anything at all - actually in debt and forever paying off.

I've luckily never been in that situation and enjoy saving something every month and then bundling it off back home to get some interest or whatever on it.

How do you save up? I have a target for every year and try to work on that with my salary so I know how much spend I can afford myself on goodies and fun times.

My wife also works full time and earns a similar wage. We use her account as the spending account and mine as the savings account. Living costs here in Hokkaido are pretty cheap and we own our house so we easily live off one of our wages. Luckily we never have to worry about whether there's enough money to get through from pay to pay. I know plenty of people here though that do live pay to pay with nothing to spare.

Same here, tons of people who just live month to month.

I've also never been there really and I suppose have a stable background that gave me a good start but it must be difficult especially with prices just shooting up at the moment all over the place.

I get to save a part of my salary every month and still get out there and enjoy. I'd like to save more but need to live as well!

Enforced savings in the form of a mortgage is a good way for spenders to save. We have always paid more than the required amount to get it cleared quicker.

We also make Super contributions, reinvest in the business, play the stock market. Leaving the working capital in the business until we need it seems to work best for us....we hate to bleed the cash cow - so we save more that way.

I never send money back to Aus though as I don't believe I will ever live there again. I've been investing in some property up here which has been doing well.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
For me, the best part of having some savings?

Is the joy I get each time I look at the balance, and I am assured I can stick my finger up at my job anytime. groovy

what's your account number and password? I'll check if you have enough cheers

I'm saving a big % of my salary. I put in a UK account which gets a decent rate of interest (about 5%), however I've been studying investing lately and want to start to get into that.

I have been struggling to save on my paltry salary, but need to make it work. I have really been feeling the tick of time recently and feel that at 28, with nothing to show for it then I need to get my shit in order.

hot tip for the year - BUY share in established Australian mining or mine service companies. whatever you can spare and you will see over the next 1-5 yrs at least solid gains and some spectacular ones as well.

as a matter of interest, how do you go about buying shares in companies? I have no idea about investing at all so you may have to dumb it down for me!! biggrin

Not sure about in Japan - But in australia (US Canada etc) you can set up on on line trading account which links to a nominated bank account. The benefit is that you can then see (with a 20 minute delay) exactly what the market is doing, and buy and sell shares for significantly cheaper brokerage - generally about $25 - $ 30 as opposed to $80-100 per trade from a full service broker.

I don't think I can mention specific here but if you google any of the major Australian Banks - eg Westpac, ANZ, Commonwealth and then go to their website - they will have an "investing" button.

Click on that and they will all have some stuff you can access publicly and a test drive facility.

Have a look through the share prices pages in a newspaper - look for companies that show some sort of dividend history, either a general upswing to prices or at least a narrower spread of high and low annual prices - then do further research. (this is only a starting point). Look at their web site, check their financial history and their projections and look around for general information.

Start little and always look at it as a longer term investment. We generally participate in dividend reinvestment scheme as well.

There are any number of investor websites and and forums which you need to critically evaluate before you accept the verity of any statements, predictions or "hot tips".

The ones that you can trust will generally have all sorts of disclaimers and warnings about the likelihood of unpredictable outcomes whereas the ones to be suspicious of are those that guarantee high returns and instant wealth.

Remember - you are trying to find someone ( a company) who can do more with your money than you can - so make sure that the more is not buying someone else a flash house or a holiday.

• 3 weeks later...

"The ones that you can trust will generally have all sorts of disclaimers and warnings about the likelihood of unpredictable outcomes whereas the ones to be suspicious of are those that guarantee high returns and instant wealth."

errr... NO, nuff said..

Very hard to trust any tips on internet forums.

Full of rampers.. pump and dump!

The disclaimers are just to protect the site owners.

Anyone follow the "speculator"? I don't know how he is not in Jail!