When the other person is not replying to your email...

...and you are pretty sure that they have got it, what do you do?

-- Resend asking them asking why they are ignoring?

-- Give it 1/2/3/4 days and politely ask if they got the mail?

or what?

Also, do you use an auto-responder "Out of Office" email setting when you are away?

Phone them up/go over and talk to them. Ever since I started working in a time-sensitive environment I realised you can get so much more done with a 5 minute phone call than a whole exchange of emails. People seem to have become afraid of talking to other people since the advent of email.

I freakin' hate it when I send someone an email and they can't be arsed to reply. Not talking about people next door but people in other offices etc. Some people like to give the impression that they're just tooooo busy to communicate in a civilised manner but will expect an instant response when the shoe is on the other foot. The same goes for voicemail.

I tend to give them a reminder and then if I still don't get a response either give them a blast or a politely stroppy email asking for a response on which I copy their boss. It's amazing how quickly people respond when they know their boss is watching.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
You're right. It can get so awkward with the mail can't it? Not wanting to annoy the other person but still needing to get an answer. Tricky.

My advice, don't hold back. Sinkng the boot in can often be very effective at producing results.
...and you are pretty sure that they have got it, what do you do?

-- Resend asking them asking why they are ignoring?

Depends on the recipient ... if I know them really well, I'd go with this option.

-- Give it 1/2/3/4 days and politely ask if they got the mail?

or what?

Otherwise, I tend to use MSGTAG, which tells me that the email has been read (and tells them that they've advised me that it has been read) so they get the hint.

Also, do you use an auto-responder "Out of Office" email setting when you are away?

Of course! Only when I am away for more than the usual weekend and Mon, Tues. (I am employed just 21 hours a week - part time, and am expected to be in the office just 3 days a week, and everyone i'm involved with knows it!)