How great is Book Off??!! You can get really good DVD's for 500 yen, I was totally amazed. Thats cheaper than renting them. Of course not all of them are 500 yen. Which brings me to my next question, who is behind the pricing in Book Off?? over 2000 yen for Blue Collar (early 80's nonsense with Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel) and yet only 500 yen for Terminator 2?

I reckon they just stick labels on them at random, I bought There's Something about Mary for 500 yen, even although there was another copy of it, exactly the same next to it for 950!

The mind boggles!!! grandpa

I know a little about book off.

From what I could tell from buying from there, they seem to price things to some extent based on how long it has been on the shelf. If they have 3 of one item, you may see one of them cheaper than the others cos it has been on the shelf longer. Prices also vary from shop to shop.

I was offered 500 yen for a Toyota car stero + speakers (in good condition too). I actually laughed when they said that, then walked back out. Having said that, no-one else seems to want it!

I have never really bought anything from those places.

Got to say, I'm not really into the idea of 2nd hand books. (To pay for that sin, I do make sure any books I get get to someone else somehow).

I sometimes pop in to see what they've got. Take your luck. Sometimes you can really drop on. I found a really decent CD player for a few thousand - must have been expensive when new. Great condition.