If the fin supply is threatened enough because of shark extinction it will be the true aficionados (like thursday) that will lead the charge to keep them alive!

:smileyOfThursdayWavingASaveTheSharksSign:

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Sometimes change comes one person at a time, one challenge at a time, one pidgeon or one shark at a time.

I would change that statement to "Always changes comes..."

I'm starting to come to realise that it is the ones and twos that make up any change, revolution, etc. Sure there are usually very visible figures leading the charge, but it is the individuals who have decided to support them and to take action. If no one gave a shit then these visible figures would achieve nothing.

Viva la individuals!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Probably a fair few people don't want to post because maybe not the best writers or afraid to join in because it is just too in-depth and the chance of ridicule. (It has been known to happen). Not me of course.

Those cyber bullies now have an authority* to be aware of. (* authoritative case)

JM, I would never condone finning, it's just one of those things I could never help prevent.

Sharks's fin, among other things and other occasions, is consumed at wedding banquets. Even if I didn't eat it, it was still killed by the traders who were not invited guests at the banquet but were fully aware their product would sell. I can't change that, I can just not have shark's fin at my weddings. doh

So why not encourage ethical and sustainable harvesting of shark?

That will keep the fin supply going, albeit at a reduced rate, and keep the shark population at sensible levels. The quick read I just did suggests that we're heading for no fins at all!

Originally Posted By: thursday.
JM, I would never condone finning, it's just one of those things I could never help prevent.

Sharks's fin, among other things and other occasions, is consumed at wedding banquets. Even if I didn't eat it, it was still killed by the traders who were not invited guests at the banquet but were fully aware their product would sell. I can't change that, I can just not have shark's fin at my weddings. doh

Can't change that?

Why not? Maybe not single handedly, but how many people are actually aware of what's really going on? Could you make them more aware?
I'm not suggesting you march down the street with a big sign, but if we had a 100 more Thursdays (scary thought) voicing their opinion, maybe, just maybe things might start to change.
Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
A Gross generalisation, but there simply aren't the resources in the world for everyone to live like a Westerner. At some point there is going to come a crunch when the whole thing collapses.

This has really got me thinking.
I've started another thread.
http://www.snowjapanforums.com
Quote:
A horse
4 cats
2 dogs
A pond with 30 fish
Lizards

And all this in Yorkshire! wink

I would love to have a dog but I/we'd have to be able to promise ourselves that we would be able to give it enough attention and not be out at work all the time.

A colleague of mine has a dog and it is shut up all day - from 7am until 7pm, sometimes longer. Poor thing.

i'm glad to see that the discuassion has at least continued for this long.

i grew up in your average small town in Canada. Hunted, fished, and had a few pets. But until i was faced with the contradiction of treating one animal like family, and condemning another to torture, just based on what we feel is 'useful', 'tasty', or 'convenient', i didn't change a bit.

i think its a stretch to say that people don't care. we do, but our current society is set up to promote exploitation, as long as it benefits us (and stays in the sweatshops, labratories, Chinese fishing vessels, Taiji dolphin culling areas, rainforests, factory farms, etc) and doesn't confront us daily.

If we could see the damage we do, i think most of us would stop, and develop alternatives to it. For what its worth, that is what has created movements like consumer, animal, and women's rights. It is what ended slavery. It is what drives alternative industries and ideas.

We all have a chance to look at our own lives, and when that number reaches a critical mass, we will switch. Do you want to do it now, wait for the biosphere to collapse, or the activists to get the laws changed?