Quote:
In an average day Roy would have a full English fry-up for breakfast, followed by a coke and a Mars bar mid-morning.

Lunch would be fish and chips washed down with more coke. He would tuck into a couple of packets of crisps to stave-off the hunger before home time.

Once home, Roy would eat cake or crisps, followed by a full meal - usually fried food.

Late evening, in front of the television, Roy would snack on cakes or biscuits.

An obese couple with a combined weight of 42 stone are to undergo 'his and hers' gastric bypass operations on the NHS - at a cost of £24,000.

Roy and Kate Glencross have seen their weight balloon after spending years eating fried food, cakes and biscuits.

Roy, 60, now tips the scales at 24 stone and is virtually housebound because his knees need replacing due to the constant strain of his weight.

gastricbandMMP_468x546.jpg

I totally agree, Thursday - and I AM battling weight issues.

A friend of mine battled and battled and was losing, she had gastric surgery and has lost 20kg so far - but she paid for it herself with the goal of getting off her BP medication and avoiding the Type 2 Diabete's that was lurking in the background.

I am literally working my ass off to lose my weight - each and every day ... if these people are not prepared to do SOME of the work for themselves, why should the British Taxpayer be left to pick up to tab?

People do it to themselves. All that it's a disease blah blah blah BS.

I look at over weight people here. Some will say they are trying to lose weight by exercising and then turn around and drink a few cokes a day!

A little kid walks out of the corner shop yesterday.. he would have to weigh in at 100kg (10 year old max), sure enough his whale of a mum waddles out not long after him. People can get angry @ parents for giving their kids a little smack on the bum but for feeding kids mars bars etc.. and letting their kids get that big should be a crime..

those bands are the easy way out..

In the next decade, mark my words, Japanese are going to be just like their US and European counterparts.

Have you ever walked by a fast food restaurant like McShits, KFC, etc and noticed how PACKED they are? I would say, on average, more than half of the people there are jhs and hs kids. They get lured in with 100 yen burgers, fries, drinks, etc making it a very popular place for them to hang out - and get fat.

In the decade that I have been here there has been a big increase in the number of extremely young, fat kids that I see. Teenagers as well are becoming more obese as well as older people. I spent a good number of time last year in the fall around fast food restaurants gathering information for my class on diet/nutrition I was teaching.

Youre going to see a more obese Asia in the upcoming future.

Look at what the new word is recently: Metabo!!

I couldnt eat that food in a week or two, let alone one freaking day!! eek.gif sick.gif

It is a trend definitely.

But I must add that not all overweight people have thier face planted in the Macca's trough, in fairness. The majority perhaps, but not all.

I went on a shopping vacation with a friend of mine who is TINY, and of course - I am not..

She ate masses at the breakfast buffet, me - a bit of yogurt and fruit. She had to stop for food every 2 hours - I had a black coffee to her latte and muffin. It continued like this for the entire trip - we were walking the streets of Melbourne all day long ... and guess who was tired? And it wasn't me! When we got home I had gained weight, and she had lost.

Clearly my metabolism is shot, and all those years of eating rabbit food in an attempt to control it has not helped - I am working hard to fix that at the moment with a very rigourous programme - and as a result having to eat 6 times a day (but low carbs). It is really scary for me to eat that much - after what normally happens - but I am slowly seeing a change in weight and also metabolic activity.

The only REAL solution to the obesity epedemic though is for all people who are overweight to take responsibility for thier own management - work out why they are overweight (Eating too much, eating the wrong food, drinking to excess, or metabolism need fixing) and then go about FIXING it. You can't blame anyone but yourself, and you shouldn't expect anyone but yourself to fix it!

Go, girl!

Mama, I sympathise, but having never had a weight problem, I cannot feel you r obvious pain. I am more like your mate - My uncle, who ran a cattle farming operation said that had I been a calf, I'd have been sold and killed real quick, as I do not convert the mountain of food I was consuming into fat, therefore no good to breed from, and not likely to get much for me, either! lol.gif

>The only REAL solution to the obesity epedemic though is for all people who are overweight to take responsibility for thier own management - work out why they are overweight (Eating too much, eating the wrong food, drinking to excess, or metabolism need fixing) and then go about FIXING it. You can't blame anyone but yourself, and you shouldn't expect anyone but yourself to fix it!

Very well put - I just wish more people who are obese felt that way (Im not calling you obese cuz I dont know you ;\) ) I have friends back home who have ballooned since high school and uni. They always say, CB, you havent changed a bit...How Id like to respond and what I actually say though are 2 different things.

I was so happy last night - there was a very obese J-woman who came in. She asks the lifeguard about what she can do to lose weight. I overheard them talking about diet/nutrition as well as how to exercise in the pool, both swimming and using the walking lanes. Good for her for doing something! clap.gif

Thanks Indo (and JA), nice to know others do the 6 meals a day thing. It is so foreign to me having believed for years I just need to EAT LESS (it was getting ridiculous how little I was eating!).

My 3 snacks are 50g pure protein,

With 100g protein plus veg meals,

and limited carbs (one slice wholemeal toast) at breakfast.

Also doing loads of cardio, and quite a bit of weight training.

My goal is to have to buy a new pair of snowboard pant for the July trip - and not because they are too tight!!!

But back on topic:

I still disagree with this couple getting gastric surgery on the taxpayer. I also know of people who cheat with the band - they DRINK thier calories - coke, milkshakes and icecreams that melt on the way down....that can't be good for you! If your head is not right, and you are not working your ass off - why should the pot of medical money help you out? There are people on waiting lists with conditions that are NOT self inflicted!!

Quote:
(Im not calling you obese cuz I dont know you )

That's OK CB, for years I have been fighting against this, and referred to myself as overweight, or "chunky". But the Wii-Fit tells me every day I am OBESE ... so let's call it as it is and lose the few kilo's to get below that line and into plain old overweight. By the time I am back in J-land I guarentee I will be in the HEALTHY range!

No hiding. No pretending. Just action. What all us of with excess kilo's need to do!

For a few years I stuck to Atkins. Steak, chicken, fish, bacon, steak, fish, steak, burgers, some veg. Wine, beer, beer, wine, wine, some water.

No solid carbs, only carbs from the beer. Was a good diet. No beer gut, felt good everyday.

I dont prescribe to any of the diet fads that are out there. I think more than anything, people just need to learn how to eat properly. Nothing more important than that, besides common sense.

Also, the biggest paradox many people have when they start working out is they start eating more. Their bodies are burning more calories, so their intake increases as well. The start of this process is one of the hardest things many people find when they start working out to lose weight - prolly more precisely, lose fat. I also hear lots of woman say Im working out but IM GAINING weight...obviously, since muscle weighs more than fat...a few girls in my HR have been seeking advice in this matter recently.

I agree CB.

It's not a hugely difficult equation.

Eat more calories than you use and you will put it on. Dead simple.

I know it's not easy to shed them, far from it, but the equation is there for us to all admire (and hate).

But not all calories are created equal GG.

How the body reacts to different types of foods makes some calories more likley to stick to your hips than others - and shamefully a lot of the Low-Fat promoted diet foods you find on supermarket shelves do just that - stick to the hips! Some people will never personally experience this blessed as they are with an on fire metabolism, but it is a common issue among weight battlers.

I am not following an Atkins diet, I tried that many years ago - too much fat in it for me, I felt quite sick, but the protein I am having is lean.

The big disaster is excessive refined carbs. The Food Pyramid is wrong - it should read VEGIES & FRUIT at the bottom, Lean Proteins next, and bread, pasta, diary after that.

No wonder Macca's is such a problem - refined carbs (those buns are no better than cake) stuffed with over processed cheese/fat filled 'meat' and minute amounts of salad veg. Add to that a couple of cups of sugar in the COKE, and a few tablespoons of oil (FAT) in the chips which in thier natural state provide enough of a carbo hit anyway. Hello weight gain! GROSS.