How many photos do you have on your hdd?

Too many. I lost masses when my PC karked it a few years back.

What is the best way to back up these photo's?

Soub's have you got a sep data drive for storing the pics?

Anyone burn them to disc?

I am not too keen on having a collection of usb drives filled with pic's as I recently heard they have a pretty short shelf life and just die without warning one day....

hmmmmmm....

DVDs are not reliable for anything other than short term backup. Most pro photogs use 4 or 5 different HDs and keep them in different physical locations. I don't though. I keep them on my laptop and also on my removable HD.

Soub, that is a serious amount of pics! You need to do some selective culling! If I wasn't pretty ruthless on what I keep I would probably have over 30 000 or 40 000!!

Waay too many to count!

Like Soubs, I have a multi-drive setup, but I have a C: which is for OS and essential OSrelated files for applications, D: which is for the application files and some data (like downloads and such) then the net drive is for ALL data. A fairly large partition for my personal data, another big one for photos, and then smaller ones for the +1 and for files relating to the business I operate.

This arrangement means that I can access the data from any of the 6 computers I have around the place, even the lappy which I'm using ATM, OR the desktop that is the "main" PC in the place.

I didn't know but my folder says 2436. Actually enjoyed looking back 5 or 6 years. I have definitely put on weight, it has spurred me on to lose it before summer. I needed that jolt.

Originally Posted By: miller
I weed out the duds.

I do that too, I would have lot more if I didnt!

90% of my sons photos are duds: he LOVES playing with the digicam he will drain the battery before he gets bored and he takes the wildest shots, crazy angles and objects. Once he figures out the focus he's going to be the next Doubilet.
Weird thing I have never shown how to use the camera, he just figured it out himself and he only 4 years old!

Wow just checked, couldn't believe it 27451 photos on my HD.

I have them all backed up on DVD's plus other hard external hard drives for safety.

Infact got my whole computer backed up on seperate ext drives just for safety.

SG your son sounds a bit like my daughter, whenever we go out she crazes me to let her use the camera, and although I haven't really told her anything except where the shutter button is, she can take good pics for her age at only five. It's amazing how quickly children learn things.

8700 but I reckon I could cull at least half. I killed about 2000 a while back but got bored before I finished!

I travel a lot with my laptop so tend to pop hard drives occasionally. So I have two 2.5" external drives that I also travel with so I can back my stuff up.

I don't take many, I may regret that one day.

Just in the hundreds I'd say and quite a lot of printed ones from the days people used to do that.

• 3 weeks later...