OK I will have a car, equipped with snow tyres.

We plan to be in Niseko but have a few days in Rusutsu.

Can someone in the know just let me know, realisticaly (not what the brochures say) how long it takes to drive from one to the other in decent weather and in snowy conditions?

Thanks so muchly

Yeah depending on road and weather conditions it's 45 min to an hour. If you are going for a day trip you can drive to the base of East Mountain which is a much better starting point that from the main resort area.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Yeah depending on road and weather conditions it's 45 min to an hour. If you are going for a day trip you can drive to the base of East Mountain which is a much better starting point that from the main resort area.

Sally, the car park for this isn't the easiest thing to find. Assuming you're coming from Niseko via Kutchan (i.e. clockwise around Yotei)you have to drive past the main resort building for a couple of km before you see the sign for Isola/East Mountain on the left (might even be in Japanese only). If you get to the next town you've gone too far. The car park is at the base of the gondola at the end of a country road about 5km off the main road. Parking at the main resort building is ok too, but does entail a bit of a schlepp to the gondola and the much more expansive terrain at East Mountain.

I vote for 45min too. But the road can get icy and construction and stuff will slow you down. It's a great way to have a big day in the pow and avoid the tourists at Niseko. At Rusutsu mid week, the lifties almost out number the punters. BTW not many aussies either!

I would go the other way.

343 back towards Kutchan.

Over the bridge to the T-junction and the lights.

Take a right on to Rt 5.

Follow that until you get to the 4-way intersection and lights with Hakkodate straight on, Niseko right and Makkari left.

Take the left turn to Makkari.

When you get to Makkari take the right turn into the town.

After about a km it's a left and then it's signed for Rusutsu.

You'll be coming in from the side that takes you to the right turn to East Mt first this way.

Give yourself 60-75 mins. Then if it's faster it's a bonus.

• 4 months later...

How about travel from Niseko village to Rusutsu and back for a day trip snowriding there without a car?

I.e. Bus/public transport?

Any advice on what services/timetables and prices we can expect?

This will be during Late Feb 2009.

Cheers.