• SnowJapan Admin

We get a mountain of junk mail every day sent to our main email addresses - several thousand a day. Of course we get lots of the usual junk, but some of them are more memorable than others.

Here's one we just got that made me laugh:

Quote:
LINK EXCHANGE REQUEST

We found your website http://www.snowjapan.com and would like to exchange links with you as our sites have similar content and it would be mutually beneficial.

Our site is undoubtedly one of the leading for parathyroid surgeons. Find up-to-date, straight-forward discussions of parathyroid disease and minimally invasive parathyroid surgery.

We had a similar one from some carpet retailers a few weeks ago suggesting a link exchange due to 'similar content' and 'the same userbase' which would be 'mutually beneficial'.

What do you think? Good for a link exchange? ;\)

• SnowJapan Admin

No, I think we are just going to have to continue doing things as a disservice to our users. Sorry.

;\)

It may be worth a bit of lateral thinking, here ... Who is set to gain most from their link exchange? I would envisage SJ getting a lot more hits from a link on their site than they would get from here. I may be wrong, it has happened in the past, but a heap of hits from their link to SJ might be of benefit to SJ, and by extension, to the Japanese snow industry as a whole.

OTOH, I mightbe talking through my hat! wakaranai.gif

Well I never. Something I learned today:

Quote:

The sole function of the parathyroid glands is to maintain the body's calcium level within a very narrow range, so that the nervous and muscular systems can function properly.

When blood calcium levels drop below a certain point, calcium-sensing receptors in the parathyroid gland are activated to release hormone into the blood.

Parathyroid hormone (PTH, also known as parathormone) is a small protein that takes part in the control of calcium and phosphate homeostasis, as well as bone physiology. Parathyroid hormone has effects antagonistic to those of calcitonin. It increases blood calcium levels by stimulating osteoclasts to break down bone and release calcium. It also increases gastrointestinal calcium absorption by activating vitamin D, and promotes calcium uptake by the kidneys.

The parathyroid glands were discovered by Ivar Sandström, a Swedish medical student, in 1880. [6] It was the last major organ to be recognized in humans.

• SnowJapan Admin

JA, you didn't see their site. lol.gif

It was one of these 'list of links with no content' sites.

We often get mails from people asking for link exchanges - mostly from things like this, but sometimes from some guy who has started a one-page website that gets 4 hits a day (him, his mum, his gran and her dog) and feels that a link exchange would be mutually beneficial for him and for SnowJapan. Sometimes you just have to laugh at the preposterousness (and cheek) of it all.

You might have noticed the lack of a Links page on our site. We're not scrambling around for any old meaningless link exchange we can get our hands on.

We prefer travelling down the route of quality content and links that matter.

Yer right, didn't get there. IMHO, those sites are a pain in the @r$e.

Stick with what you know works, with occasional tweaks, as you do. This is one of my "daily visit" sites, regardless of the season. thumbsup.gif

• SnowJapan Admin

Here's a good one just got.

It started off....

Quote:
NOTE: We are not spammers and are against spamming of any kind. We are sending this mail with sole intention of link exchange for mutual

benefit. If you are not intersted in Link Exchange then you can reply

simply "NO", We will never contact you again.

lol.gif

then....

Quote:
Dear webmaster,

We recently came across your site through Google search and your active links page indicates that you are interested in link exchange.

Right!

Quote:
You have an excellent site and we would be delighted to exchange link with your site.

So Taking initiative in this direction we had already placed your link

here:

etc.

This time it was a content empty links site for watches and jewellry.

• SnowJapan Admin

No, most of them are nothing to do with winter sports. Carpets, pharmecuticals, watches... that kind of thing.

\:\)

• SnowJapan Admin

Not actually junk (?) but just got one of these:

"I want detailed maps, city informations, hotels, restaurants and ski areas. If possible, I also would like all of the timetables of buses and trains to Nagano, Norikura, Takayama and Furano. Send by tomorrow."

Don't want much from us do they?!! No please or thank you either.

• SnowJapan Admin

Damn perhaps I shouldn't have sent him all of our website files as well as all of the information resources we have. \:\(

Oh well we all make mistakes. Time for some coffee.

Originally Posted By: SJForums

"I want detailed maps, city informations, hotels, restaurants and ski areas. If possible, I also would like all of the timetables of buses and trains to Nagano, Norikura, Takayama and Furano. Send by tomorrow."

lol.gif lol.gif
 Originally Posted By: me jane
 Originally Posted By: SJForums

lol.gif lol.gif

"No please or thank you either."
lol.gif lol.gif

My response would have been in terms like " go bite yer bum!"

I know, you aren't supposed to respond, because that just tells them that they have found an email that is monitored. But, the satisfaction of having them get confused over what to do about this wierd response would be worth it. My MailWasher would sort out all of their later replies, I hope!!;\)

• SnowJapan Admin

Problem is this kind of one is actually a real person I think.

Just a very rude one expecting rather a lot!

I often wonder what the though process is with people like that. What are they thinking when they write off to someone (like us) and ask for all that lot in such an up-front manner? Have we misled them to believe that we will respond by sending off tons of in-depth info packages to them or something free of charge?! lol.gif

Of course we ignore out-there mails like that, but we generally try to run things by this quaint policy of being polite when we do correspond to people. Sometimes it gets very difficult to maintain!

With such as I described, I generally save to the drafts folder, then revisit a day or so later, realise it would have been a mistake and bin it. Effectively, I ignore them, but the theraputic value of having typed the response is immense!