There's some really strange 'rules' in place now.

Scenario. Flight from Japan through Heathrow to Scotland. I am bringing back a bottle of sake for my father. Get to Heathrow and they take the sake off me. Sorry, can't take it past the scanning machine. I can, of course, buy tons of whisky 100m on the other side of the scanning machine, but I can't take this one through. I can also take a bit bottle through if it was from a European country, but not if it is from Japan. They explained to me that if I wanted to take this sake from Japan back home, I would have to "check it into hold" - which of course I couldn't really do as my baggage was connecting on. To me, that's just totally crazy.

And why do we have to lug our laptop computers out of their cases to go through? Does it really make a difference?

I have not been through Heathrow since the liquid bans have been in place however I did find that Japan (Narita and Haneda) was the most reasonable and flexible regarding liquids of all the airports/countries I have been in since the ban was introduced.

It was introduced after there was a threat to airplane security by the liquid ingrediants to make explosives being brought on board. So we stopped the terrorists from taking knives and guns on with our x-ray/metal detectors etc - they found another way to get us...so we had to come if with more restrictions!!

Basically any liquid (or container with liquid) over 100ml is not allowed into the departure lounge...now if you were LEAVING the airport - it shouldn't have been a problem getting it OUT - just in getting it back IN. Once you are inside you can buy liquids and carry them on board - those liquids are not going to blow up the plane....but if you have further connections you wont be able to take those liquids through security at that next stop - so purchases like whisky etc should be left for the last boarding location.

In Japan I found they allowed un opened water bottles through, and stuck opened water bottles onto some machine - passed them and then allowed us to carry them through. At Perth airport they give you the death stare and tell you that "carrying liquids is illegal, did you not read the signs!". At HK they apologise with sympathetic faces, 'sorry it is not allowed, I have to put it in the bin is that OK?".

Now you might think - heck she challenges security and tries to sneak in water bottles at EVERY airport...not so. When travelling in a group there is always someone who misses a bottle in the bottom of thier bag that has been there since whenever. And even when I remind all our kids and check the little one's bags - the teens will have a floating water bottle somewhere! LOL

I was gutted!! It was still sealed but it was way over the meximum amount of liquid you could take on. I offered to drink a little bit to show them it was sauce but they said no!! Thankfully they left me with my uber cannister of Bisto!!

It was the biggest one I could find. It was massive!! The reason it was in my carry on luggage was that I was already worried about my luggage weight and thought it'd tip it over the limit

Originally Posted By: thursday.
you can just imagine those security people still using that bottle for their lunches.
lol.gif

I reckon the security guys at Sapporo Chitose might have thrown back my leftover Alco-pop bottle (can't even remember what it was now...) after they clocked off.

A few years ago, we had smuggling gangs taking hundreds of TVs and DVDs to the mainland via highspeed boats. So fast that the marine pigs had no way of catching.

A fair few operations on, they succeeded in capturing gangs as they were loading. And in the process nabbed a few of their boats and commondeered them as police vessles.

Ensuing operations netted millions of dollars of smuggled goods. The merch were seized and disposed of appropriately. How?

Auctioned off to the highest bidder with the proceeds going to the pig pension fund.

NICE.

• 2 weeks later...

I once had a bottle of pickled onions smash open at Narita Airport, in my hand luggage. Now that was a mess. Don't suppose they'd allow them now.