Mantas's UK beer and pie tour.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: stemik
or just mention the cricket...that will shut them up.
BTW wahts the population got to do with it?

They've got 3 times the size of a selection pool to draw a national team from.

I'm going to a function tomorrow night, I'm sure the subject will come up then.

My stomach is grumbling. Time to look for a pie.
wave.gif

I found a lovely little bakery yesterday with quite a variety of pasteries on offer. I passed up a 'Chippie' for a chilli steak slice.

I was a bit puzzled why I was handed it cold. I just assumed that meat pasteries were ready to eat. It doesn't make sense. Bake a lovely hot pastery, let it go stone cold, sell it to the customer so the the customer can take it home and re-heat it in the microwave.???

Last night I had a few pints of Oyster stout and Best bitter. Not what I'm used to but not to bad. I know it's a cultural thing, but I just dont know how you can drink it at room temperature. Maybe I could get used to it but I doubt it.

Jeez, you orstrayans are hard to please. ;\) The pies are cold and the beer hot, oh dear oh dear.

Eat the pie cold. True story. The Cornish pastie is a working man's lunch. They didn't have microwave ovens in the 19th century Cornish tin mines.

Beer. It comes at cellar temperature, not room temperature. The same temperature as you drink red wine. Unless you drink your red with ice and coke ;\)

Pork pies are ace. There are some really bad ones, but generally they are good and there are some excellent ones. One of the things I always buy first in the local supermarket when I'm back in england.

a tip mantas......if you get served another cold pie/pastry treat, when you take it home DO NOT PUT IT IN THE MICROWAVE!! It goes all soggy and shite, put it back in the oven, it takes a little longer but the pastry goes crisp again and everything in the universe is as it should be!! If you can find one, try a chicken balti pie/slice. Those bad boys are quality!!

Pork pies are ok.....not good meat and definitely not good for you. I hate the jelly shite that is around them when cold

Soubs- My taste buds couldn't give a toss how much history and tradition is attached to the food.

Warm beer...cold pies??.mmmmm, it's not rocket science. You are right though, I am hard to please here. That's why I dont live here.

Back on topic- Today we went to the seaside and took a stroll past the Putt Putt golf, fantasy land and fanasty world ect. Before mild hypothermia set in, we headed for the last bastion of Brittish lifestyle, the pub. It was there that I head a great cottage pie lunch. The serves here are huge, you dont get that sort of value in Oz.

More later

Fair enough Mantas, at least you're trying it. Cottage pie sounds good. Haven't had that for 20 years.

UK beer temperature is a climate thing. It doesn't need to be frigid to cool you, and isn't brewed to be drunk really cold. Unlike Australian beer, it isn't pasteurised, homogenised, filterised and carbonised.

Sadly, the beer and pie tour has come to an end. (thank god, now I can get to work on losing those extra 4 kilos). I really enjoy my visits to the UK, even though I know I could never live there. The warm and hospitality of the people in those little country pubs is something sadly lacking at home. If you could only bottle that character.

Comparing pie and pies with those from home is a hard call. I do appreciate the history and tradition involved, but like a lot of things from the mother country, Australia has run with it and dare I say ' improved ' them.

Thanks for the tips guys. Now for an 21 km run lol.gif

{almost} interesting fact... the jelly in pork pies came about because when the gentry went out fox-hunting, ordinary pies got shaken to pieces in their pockets. By injecting that jelly it set solid and didn't get damaged.