Just wanted to say hi and stoked to find this place.

Planning on a visit up to Japan (from NZ) next winter, already looking over everything and trying to get an idea of things.

Yoroshiku!

wave.gif

• 2 weeks later...

What are the ski season's usually like? Was it last year that had a poor amount of snow? I vaguely remember seeing some pictures and the place resembled Scotland "ski resorts", hardly any snow and rocks poking through everywhere.

It has been pretty decent, but not because its been covered all winter. Glencoe and the Lecht have often been closed on Weekdays to preserve what snow they have. Also the snow cover has often practically disappeared only for it to miraculously reappear again a week later. Scotland has had late snow storms (on the mountains), as is often the case, which means that they can be open for May. Its still not anything compared to what we get here. Also there are places in the Cairngorms that you can ski after a bit of a hike, even in July. Allthough I think that 2005-2006 was the first time that the snow all but disappeared even from these sheltered ski fields

well thats the highest resort in Scotland (I think, its either that or the Cairngorms) and I doubt that the picture there is near any of slopes. Like I said before with a bit of hiking its usually possible, even in crap seasons to get to steep, good snow runs, just that my ability, especially when I was back in Scotland, didn't allow me to venture from the official runs. From what my friends have told me, it has been a good season compared to recent ones, but not that they have been able to resort ride all winter. The fields closed on and off all thru the winter