Took a trip around the mountain this afternoon to the port town of Iwanai.

Glorious weather. Sunny, warm, not a cloud in the sky when I started, next to no breeze.

Set off from the 'day lodge' at 2:30pm. The snow line started at the van's front wheels.

Walked up in my ski boots and took the right hand ridge line following the now defunct lift lines. Had a few sink up to my knee moments but for the most part was only sinking in about 10-15cm. Above the top lift it was solid.

Got to the top of the lifts at 4:30pm and the summit of Iwanai-dake at 5:00pm

Snow changed from spring to corn to hardpack with a 5-10cm covering of chalky snow.

MikePow_33.jpg

The views back to Yotei and the Niseko area and across the ridge line down into Iwanai and the Sea of Japan were spectacular. Nothing like standing on snow looking at the sea.

Dropped in around 5:30pm just as the sun was being swallowed up by a bank of clouds gathering in Iwanai Bay.

Great pitch and chalky turns down the main bowl in golden light. Cut through the trees about halfway down back onto the groomers.

Yes, the runs had been groomed. And a damn site better than the Niseko United crew's efforts.

Let 'er rip back to the van, cranking GS turns.

Saw no other tracks on my descent, old or new.

If the lifts were running I would move to Iwanai tomorrow. Fantastic terrain in-bounds and SOOOOOO much scope out-of-bounds.

Regret not taking a day cat skiing there this winter.

If you're in the area, take a walk. It's worth it. Best snow I've skied up here in weeks.

And if you visit next winter take a day to hike or go cat skiing/riding.

I thought the lifts ran for the last time last (06/07) season, and this year it was "catch the cat to the top" weekends only. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. wakaranai.gif

Thanks for the report MikePow! thumbsup.gif More pics if you got them please!

Spot on Ezorisu.

Niseko Moiwa, Niseko Weiss & Niseko Iwanai went to the wall in the past 5 years, with Moiwa making a reappearance as a resort and Weiss & Iwanai operating as cat ski/ride operations.

As I set off yesterday afternoon there was some sort of 'caretaker' around. He saw me walking, waved with a smile and went on his way. So I guess it's OK to hike it.

Pity both Weiss & Iwanai's lifts have stopped turning because both offer great alternatives to Niseko United.

As Moiwa and Chisenuppuri do.

IMHO it's a shame that people travelling so far to this area just play at Niseko United.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Spot on Ezorisu.

Niseko Moiwa, Niseko Weiss & Niseko Iwanai went to the wall in the past 5 years, with Moiwa making a reappearance as a resort and Weiss & Iwanai operating as cat ski/ride operations.

As I set off yesterday afternoon there was some sort of 'caretaker' around. He saw me walking, waved with a smile and went on his way. So I guess it's OK to hike it.

Pity both Weiss & Iwanai's lifts have stopped turning because both offer great alternatives to Niseko United.

As Moiwa and Chisenuppuri do.

IMHO it's a shame that people travelling so far to this area just play at Niseko United.

You make a good point Mike.
But unfortunately it is not something that visitors to the area know about prior to coming.
One of the best things for me about chatting on the SJ forums is the amazing amount of stuff I have learnt about Japan, snow conditions, gear, and places to see/experience (amongst other things) - but not everyone hangs out here!
If they were marketed well the people would come. It is certainly something I would try on a return visit.
 Originally Posted By: Mamabear
You make a good point Mike.
But unfortunately it is not something that visitors to the area know about prior to coming.
One of the best things for me about chatting on the SJ forums is the amazing amount of stuff I have learnt about Japan, snow conditions, gear, and places to see/experience (amongst other things) - but not everyone hangs out here!
If they were marketed well the people would come. It is certainly something I would try on a return visit.

I'll be our (all of us SJ'ers) little secret! ;\)

Oh, and Charlotte - I really like that cat picture!
  • 3 months later...