Olympic events that don't seem quite right.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps

I wonder how much 'trouble' there'll be at these Olympics.

lots, did China really believe everyone would get caught up in the Olympic spirit and forget all the, how should say this, "dodgy" stuff they do?
They must be outside of their minds. It was a very controversial decision to award the games 8 years ago. These are going to be the most "interesting" Olympics in long long time I feel.
China getting the games reminds me of the old proverb....." Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it"

Olympics. Is that a synonym for political scapegoating? Or is it merely a free for all as the accused will show utmost restraint?

How obvious that the 40th anniversary of their uprising was never uprised 'cos the world was focussed on Y2K. Good one that. They must've been busy looking after their Y2K bugs.

You can point and say what China does is all so cruel, all so unacceptable. But China has done more for world stability than the US and Europe put together. Just keep spending in Iraq, keep up the Iran spanking, and keep selling those outdated advanced weapons to Taiwan. I've got a ring side seat, I'll enjoy that one.

It's so easy to forget the Olympics of '80 and '84 isn't it? I know, let's just forget the Olympics, it seems only a television time filler anyway.

Basically I decry anything where there is not a clear "first past the finish" winner. Anything where there is an 'artistic interpretation' mark to determine the winner. This just gives the potential for someone to adjust their score depending on how much they are paid. (I'd call that bribery)

>You can point and say what China does is all so cruel, all so unacceptable. But China has done more for world stability than the US and Europe put together.

Really thursday? And there I was thinking that all those times the PRC used its veto vote at the UN they were really only acting in their self interest and keeping a lid on such subversive notions as self determination or cultural and political independence or (their fav) non-interferance with internal matters.

As far as the PRC is concerned - if a civil disaster/massacre/riot occurs in the country side and no news agency reports it, does it really happen?

I agree though that the Beijing Olympics are a bit of a waste of time. It's kind of sad that they basically have to close down production for half the country just so people won't choke to death while running. It mystifies me why the PRC feels it gets any prestige from conducting the Olympics when countries like Mexico did it 40 years ago as one writer poined out recently). Big deal! The country is in a mess, people can't afford medical treatment, inflation is rampant, corruption is rampant etc and yet we're suppossed to be impressed by a bunch of autocrats who use the powers of a police state to conduct a few sporting events.

Massive protests disrupting the torch relay in London and Paris. Let the "fun" and games begin.

The torch is inside this highly protected bus!

screenshot223rs6.jpg

p.s do French policemen often use rollerblades?? the British cops were using Mtn Bikes to ride alongside the torch, but Rollerblades?

I'd like to see them on a training course rollerblading while firing their sidearms at targets! ...sort of like when the JGSDF dudes on their motocross bikes stand on the pegs and lean their thighs against the handlebars and fire their rifles while riding by targets!