I guess SJ must have a lot of interesting data about usage of the site of course, I was wondering if you could share with us which areas are most popular according to how many people read the info? Can you share any?

\:\)

Nice question. I would guess that people outside of Japan research different resorts from people inside Japan. For example, people in Aus might check out Niseko primarily whereas people in Japan probably check out a bigger variety. Likewise, guest patterns are probably very different from members. All that would make aggregate statistics difficult to interpret.

Just guessing though. I'd imagine SJ is near-omnipotent in their wealth of knowledge. cool.gif smile.gif

• SnowJapan Admin

We haven’t yet put this seasons numbers together for full analysis yet, so this is based on simple observations of the numbers for this 07/08 season so far.

Taking into account the main sections of the site (resort pages & related info, accommodation, weather reports) there has been a clear ‘top 3’ in terms of page access over the last few years – those three being Niseko, Hakuba and Nozawa Onsen. Until last season Niseko was far and away the place that got the most attention. While Niseko is still continuing to increase in terms of pages being read, over the last few seasons - and perhaps in particular this season - other regions of Japan are now getting increased attention and so the percentage shares I think are changing.

The overall pie has become considerably bigger once again this season and the size of each individual slice is also bigger than it was, but I would say that there has been a shift in the relative sizes since this time last year. It is certainly still Niseko with the most and Hakuba following up, in particular places in Nagano have seen considerable increase this season. Other places that I have noticed a movement in are Furano, Minakami and some areas of Tohoku.

The data I am talking about above does not include anything on the forums or the member pages.

As you said ger, it is difficult to just look at the total numbers as a whole and come to any detailed observations. In April we’ll begin to put all the statistics together in detail. Actually, this year we will be able to do that in much more detail than last season as we implemented a new, more detailed system last autumn. So it should be interesting to see all the trends and what people are looking at.

The overwhelming success of Niseko will undoubtedly have flow on effects for other resorts in Japan. Some of the reasons would be;

- People came and come to Niseko because of the famed powder but it's now becoming so busy that the ability to find untracked powder can be challenging.

- The powder is certainly great but advanced terrain is, as has been pointed out ad nauseum on these forums, limited.

- People don't always want to go to the same place year after year.

- Niseko accommodation is starting to become reasonably expensive. Better value, though maybe not better standard, accommodation can be found at other Japanese resorts.

- Niseko's success and popularity seems to be a big reason many are looking elsewhere, there's just too many foreigners here! Seems to be something that would only afflict a Japanese resort. I mean do people not want to go to Whistler because there are too many foreigners there? It seems many people also want to enjoy a bit of Japanese culture on their holiday. Yep, Niseko aint really a mecca of Japanese culture.

I'm sure people could think of a few more. I'm not trying to suggest that other resorts in Japan would never have become internationally popular without the Niseko phenomena but what's happening up here will certainly help speed things along elsewhere.

This country is blessed with some of the most amazing snow on the planet and it has hundreds of ski resorts. The thing is many of them are just ugly reminders of the excesses of the bubble. Some though are truly great and should do all they can to tap into the extremely lucrative international skiing market. There are certainly resorts that have far better terrain, infrastructure and access than Niseko does.