I need to speak to some technical support people and am currently on hold in the queue. Question is, how long do I wait? I'm on 10 minutes now. I'm asking myself how long before I give up, even if it might be closer as the minutes rack up. Problem it, it's to the US.

God this is annoying.

I hate that!! You have got to hang on, really. I did hang up at one point after 15 minutes in a queue, mainly because I had rice cooking downstairs, thought I would make a quick call upstairs on the landline ... well 15 minutes later you can imagine what must have been happening not only to the rice but my POT! Once I fixed the rice burning I called back on the cordless and put it on speaker phone. It recorded the time of call to be 40 minutes plus, and they only talked to me for about 35 seconds - I recommend holding.

ignore all the voice prompts and don't push any buttons. they'll repeat the menu a few times , then come to the conclusion that you are an absolute numpty and i find i get through to an operator fairly quickly

Quote:
theres always that feeling of 'maybe my call didnt get directed properly and i am just waiting eternally in some kind of technical vacuum'

Exactly!

Quote:
ignore all the voice prompts and don't push any buttons. they'll repeat the menu a few times , then come to the conclusion that you are an absolute numpty and i find i get through to an operator fairly quickly

No, not like that. I was ust being put in a queue. Pushing buttons did nothing.

I tried again when it was the middle of the night US time and got through after 5 minutes.

India - land of tech support call centers!

I wish they would just send me the three-ring binder with all the answers that they give to all the highly-trained, horribly-underpaid technical service operators in India just so I wouldn't have to get a sore neck waiting for them to pick up.

"Your business is important to us - please stay on the line"

A lot of companies in the UK were moving their call centres back from India as people were complaining that they couldn't understand what was being said.

I had to phone one once and I was the same, but so was the woman on the other line, I couldn't understand her and she couldn't understand my scots brogue!! lol.gif

You redial using skype to be sure you don't spend so much cash.

Make a cup of coffee and do something else while it is ringing.

\:\)

Sitting there getting frustrated listening to muzak with a phone to your ear is a terrible terrible thing to have to do.

This story all ends up a bit better actually.

They gave me $50 credit (not a huge amount of course but it will cover my calls).

And the call center wasn't in India, it was the US. I ended up speaking with 5 people, all easy to understand accents \:\)

lol.gif

I remember last year at home my dad was on the phone with a call centre. Obviously in India and he's not used to that accent and his hearing isn't the best. It was painful listening to the "conversation". I ended up dealing with it after a lot of frustration.