Japan is region 2. If for you, the UK is thought of as part of the European Union, then that is region 2 also.

Would your DVDs play in Japan? that depends on what the game would be.

Originally Posted By: IIIII
Bet thats a quality player!!

Kendoor mate. has lasted better than any expensive player I or my mates have ever had.. plays DVD's that some high end won't play!
 Originally Posted By: bobby12
Region has nothing to do with tv format, though some all-region players can convert ntsc-pal too.

Whaddaya mean Bobby?
In oz you buy a dic from the states (different region & NTSC) and it will play in an all region DVD player in Oz which is a PAL country???

All region means exactly that.. ALL region!

British DVDs are Region2, PAL.

Japanese DVDs are Region2, NTSC.

British DVDs do not work on Japanese DVD players, unless they have a PAL->NTSC converter built in. All-region makes no difference here, as they are the same region anyway.

I'm simply making the point that there is a difference betweeen all-region and all-format.

yep, know that.

But every region free dvd player I have ever used eg. Oz region 4? PAL works in a region free player on a NTSC system here in Jp.

My understanding was that region free also means the PAL NTSC issue as well.

I think in general yes an all-region one would play both ntsc and pal, but I make the point because I used to have one in Japan that didnt play PAL. So the OP should make sure of that before buying one.