Malaria drugs: Anyone used Malarone?

Goin to a place called Kuredu. Not taking the boards, but will be doing plenty of snorkelling. Spook was talking about the Maldives for surf a while back. Might have to see about renting some boards if we see some decent surf nearby. Otherwise just relaxing, swimming and snorkelling thumbsup.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
Not taking the boards, but will be doing plenty of snorkelling. Otherwise just relaxing, swimming and snorkelling thumbsup.gif

Yeah, thumbs up till ya see a wave break!
Throw a lid in.. can't take up too much space!

yeah, i'd imagine you can get a bodyboard at a resort pretty easily. whack on some snorkelling flippers and at least you can get some waves

if the resort isn't a surfing resort it might be a drama trying to go surfing,and expensive to arrange a boat, but you should at least try and see if it is possible. be a shame to not get a wave while you're over there

yeah best to take some DEET cream out with you, because you can't get in Malaysia (or I couldn't, I searched high and low). All their repelent has some herbal mixture in it.

RE the electrical fly swatter, check out 100 yen shops, they usually sell them

Originally Posted By: Indo
I guess so. Should be able to rent a board.. maybe lids will be hammered.
A good time to make the switch!

Excellent idea. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch, after all you don't ride your snowboard laying down do you? laugh.gif
 Originally Posted By: Bushpig
Thanks Sunrise \:\) Yeah it should be good thumbsup.gif Once we arrive in OZ it's still gonna be a holiday anyway. Neither of us plan to work for a few months. Sponge off the folks ;\)

You could also Join K.Rudd's lid team.
  • 3 weeks later...

not sure if this info is too late for you bushy but i went and saw a travel doc yesterday:

- doxycylene is fine to take for extended periods. many teenagers take this for up to 12-18 months for acne with no major side effects. however your sensitivity to sunlight is increased. some people also get naseous. taking this daily while in malaria prone areas reduces your chances of contracting malaria by 95%

- malarone is good, but prohibitively expensive to take daily as a drug to reduce your chances of contracting malaria. each pill costs about $AUS9

- the other option is to not take any drugs, but be super diligent in covering up at all times, using bug spray with a minimum of 30% DEET, sleeping under nets etc etc. if you do get malaria like symptoms, then begin a 3 day course of malarone (4 pills once per day) while getting yourself to a hospital

we are going with option 3. hopefully we never have to munch the malarone pills. my mates who have had malaria have some horror stories

enjoy your trip