Does anyone here still get photos printed (properly, not just on a cheap printer)? I have some good photos (non snow ones) that I wouldn't mind getting hard copies of and wondering the best way to go about it now. Shops the cheapest or perhaps getting it ordered online.

I realised that I haven't had any photos printed out for over 5 years!

We have been meaning to print out pics of our kids to make an album.

To do that now, we have to go through 5 years of pics for No.1 and 3 for 2..

Understandably putting it off!

If we put pics in frames we get them printed at a shop.

A few choices - I went out and bought a Canon printer - forgot the model number now and too far to stretch over at this time ;\) (MP600)

Awesome printer - cost about 15,000 yen but allows so much - to print off direct from memory card, various types of paper and sizes and the picture quality is amazing!

Shop wise - tend to be all the same quality now - it all depends on what settings you take the photo on - if you use low resolution then you are going to get poor photos. Raw or on maximum size possible will give you the best colours and effects.

not really.

ink costs about 500yen for the generic brand - which is as good as the Canon - and lasts for an age.

I have printed off about 300pics of various sizes since I bought - amongst OHP's for work - and have just replaced the ink.

Factor in the average print costs about 20¥ - have saved a lot of money.

You tend to find the cheap printers have expensive ink to make up for the cost.

Rob,

I bought the MP770 a few years ago and never had a problem till I put the generic ink in it. Stuffed the heads.

It's a great printer but pics will eventually fade, unlike shop ones. I also think shop prints are cheaper too.

I have no idea about this but I has always thought fading was more to do with the ink than the paper?

We have a big printer at work and we can use it for cost. Paper roll is a meter wide and we pay 1,500yen per meter of length to print. I've printed a couple of big pics with it and the quality is fantastic, even from my compact digicam.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some printed out at 2L size - quite big. They looked fantastic, I didn't know quite what to expect but they were excellent. From now I'm going to be getting a selection of my photos printed out every so often.