Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Anyway, it is obviously a very boring topic so I'll leave it alone now!

lol.gif And I'm going to flame you in your own thread for being boring.

(I find climate very interesting, but largely misunderstood. Many people dislike seeing evidence which doesn't support their opinions).

Quote:
You just must be getting much more overnight snow than me.

I'm coming to understand that among heavy snow areas, Mogami is a heavy snow area.

Yes the east side has deffinately been much colder this year. My wife told me this year is like it used to always be when she was at high school, and that's only going back about 16 years ago.

So although the usually heavy snow areas haven't got as much as usual the areas that usually don't get much snow have had a lot more.

Muikabochi, When I made my predictions last year it was based on what I saw around these parts of the country, so I believe I was spot on.

We are expecting snow again this weekend, if we get it, that will be three times in one week, that is a lot for Tokyo, it normally only snows once the whole season and I think the this will be the fifth time to get snow in Tokyo this year.

The point about it snowing less over night than it used too is very interesting though.

Originally Posted By: snowdude
The point about it snowing less over night than it used too is very interesting though.

It is! And very inconvenient... Loads of fresh snow everynight, and lovely clear days would be MAGIC wouldn't it!

I am simply commenting on how much snow there is around my house and on the roads of my town.

This time two years ago there was well over 250cm. Today it is about 150cm. Last year mid-February it didn't get above 100cm. The snow walls along the roads are not as high as what we might "normally have". That's all very simple!

This last week has added a fair bit though, getting to be more like what we expect.

There's a well written opinion piece in Nature here:

http://www.nature.com/climate/2008/0803/full/climate.2008.14.html#f2

"The real swindle

Max Boykoff

Climate change must be reported more carefully to help distinguish convergent agreement from legitimately contentious issues."

He is making the same point as me (but better ;\) ). The science is not particularly contentious. It is important to separate it from from the opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that much the last few unfortunately. Definitely feels more like spring this last week or so. Still we are getting on for mid-March so can't complain. ( Well, can and will I suppose ;\) )