Thurs- Just curious, but based on physical appearances alone, can you 'blend in with the Japanese unnoticed? Can the Japanese tell that you are Chinese?

It would be hard for the average gaijin to tell the difference between Chinese, Korean or Japanese. Or is that just the way we see it through gaijin eyes?

my wife can spot those differences quite easily. I've picked up a few differences. S.W. Asia is vastly different from East Asia.

Then again, I can spot euros or aussies or kiwis in the states quite easily as well. Some facial features are very aussie and very euro, imo. There is no way I could possibly explain that here though.

I have also only ever seen stubby thumbs on Japanese people. (you know, the half-thumb tip.)

BOC, I think a group of japanese in England would likely consider you a gaijin as they speak amongst themselves. Don't think too much of it. I think in that situation, they would just be saying "other people" much in the same we we say "Japanese."

Hubby was hanging with a fellow who was born in Japan, raised in Japan with one Japanese parent, and one Australian parent. He explained to hubby that even he was considered gaijin - who'd a thunk that!!

Would not be so much like that in Australia - one of our friends at school had a Chinese father, so her appearance was clearly different to ours - but she was just as Aussie as we are, and accepted as such. And the European blends - you would be lucky to tell - especially when the surname is not an "...opolous" or other giveaway.

Mantas, in London, Japanese tourists have come up to me and asked me where the Burberry store was. In Tokyo I've often been mistaken to be a local. But again, some people just presume things whereas for a more metropolitan or "exposed" Japanese, it would probably be differnt. I like it just the way it is, blend and disappear when I like.

>Then again, I can spot euros or aussies or kiwis in the states quite easily as well. Some facial features are very aussie and very euro, imo.<

I can definitely spot that too Samuri. Asians are a bit harder. We get coach loads of Korean and Japanese tourists here, but I cant pick the difference at all. I think I could safely pick a Thai, Indonesian or Phillipino from a Japanese though.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
I like it just the way it is, blend and disappear when I like.

Yep. Go native. I try it sometimes but I usually get spotted as a foreigner eventually. Don't know what gives me away. Maybe it's be my fashion.
 Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Hubby was hanging with a fellow who was born in Japan, raised in Japan with one Japanese parent, and one Australian parent. He explained to hubby that even he was considered gaijin - who'd a thunk that!!

That's my kids too Mamabear. Sad to think that one of your countries wants nothing to do with you.

That guy your hubby hung with probably wasn't allowed to use his Kanji last name either.
 Originally Posted By: Indo

That's my kids too Mamabear. Sad to think that one of your countries wants nothing to do with you.

That guy your hubby hung with probably wasn't allowed to use his Kanji last name either.

That really sucks Indo. Your kids should be able to enjoy thier heritage on BOTH sides to the full. I find it really hard to get my head around because I have only had really positive experiences in Japan, and with the J-exchange students we have had stay in our home. But hubby came back really jaded this last trip. Do you think it will change with the younger generation?

One thing I find interesting here is that Japanese are really force fed 'kaigai' from schools and TV. Flick through the channels and theres always at least one program on where some Japanese is in Hawaii or whatever and demonstrating their strange foriegn customs.

On the surface, you would think this makes for a very broadminded outlook towards foreigners, but actually all it does is reinforce the 'us and them' attitude.

On a different note, I have been told by a few different Japanese that 'gaijin' basically means 'oubeijin' (US/Europeans) and that other foreigners (e.g. SE Asians) are considered as something different. Not sure what they call those guys those.

A co-worker at my school finally stopped calling me gaijin-sensei. I had to ask him to use my name 3 times, but he finally got it. Even the students at age 16 would roll their eyes at his language.

The students must not dye their hair at my school. We have hair checks to ensure that their hair is black. wakaranai.gif When the students asked the same teacher as mentioned above why I didn't have to have black hair, he replied; "Gaijin desu." not blonde, or that is my natural color but the fact that I was a gaijin. Ironically, the students were joking. It's kind of funny seeing the youth outwit their teachers stuck in the past.

It didn't come from anywhere, they just never outgrew it.

We teachers can't complain about it. Our job as foreigners is to come over as foreigners and expose foreign language to them. It gets pretty ridiculous when we actually complain about our job duties.

I don't know of many (any? wakaranai.gif) other nations that have something equivalent to the JET programme in an attempt to expose themselves to outside influences.

I think other governments are more careful with their money.

The JET programme is an incredible waste of money, unless the true purpose is not teaching English but (for want of a better term) inter-breeding. They target fresh grads so there is probably something in that.

More likely it was just some guys idea 25 years ago and, Japan being Japan, no-one now stops to consider if it is actually worthwhile or not.