Niseko and Kagura: Am I going the right places?

A friend and I are headed over for 8 days (Feb 29th - March 9th). I lived in Hokkaido for a couple of years and have been to Japan several times since; however, I've never snowboarded in Japan.

I'm trying to put together a 8 day trip that combines the best snowboarding with a really cool Japanese cultural experience and want to make sure I'm picking the right resorts.

BTW - We live in Salt Lake City, so we're used to huge resorts with big powder and steep mountains. We primarily ride powder here and live in the trees. Solitude is our favorite resort in Utah, if you're familiar with it. It's cool and laid back. It's kinda like riding back-country, but with lifts. They don't have much of a park (and we wouldn't hit the park anyway).

I'm a little worried that I'm trying to pack too much in. We originally wanted to do Hokkaido and Nagano, but I couldn't get a cost-effective flight from Sapporo to Matsumoto. I found a flight from Sapporo to Niigata, so our current plan was to go to Niseko for a couple days, then down to Yuzawa via Niigata, then back through Tokyo on the Shinkansen.

Niseko is a no brainer. It sounds awesome.

From what I've read, Kagura is probably the right type of mountain for us in Yuzawa. Is Naeba worth going to? Yuzawa seems to have the 'nihon-teki' things like Onsen, ryokan, and other activities. Plus it gives us an easy way to get back to Tokyo. We'll only be there on weekdays, so hopefully the crowds won't be too bad.

I'm debating just staying in Hokkaido for 4 days, then coming back to Tokyo. Or thinking about just flying to and from Hokkaido and taking the train up and back from Nagano. I was just trying to save a little time and money.

If anyone has thoughts or suggestions, then I'd be very pleased to hear them.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm thinking that I'd prefer just one area, but my buddy really wants to go to two different areas of the country. I hate to lose so much time to travel, but as I mentioned before, we can snowboard anytime here. We're trying to have a good balance of snowboarding and Japanese culture.