Hi Everyone. I have just joined this website but i have been getting info from from it for weeks. It a great site that is very helpful.

My girlfriend and i are heading to Niseko on the 21st Feb and we can't wait to dive into some great powder. I have done a season in Banff, my girfriend a season in Banff and Austria and with all the stories about Japan we just couldn't wait any longer (escpecially after spending three teriable days in Aus snow in 07'). Unfortunately, not been able to find much in the way of accom, due to leaving it too late, we have booked a package (not our usual way of travel). I have a few questions that i thought someone might beable to answer.

Flying with J.A.L., what sort of trouble might we have with lauggage?

What sort of price do you think backcountry tours should cost? Do you think with only two weeks there we would even need to consider it? Are there people around that do their own more personal tours?

Any favourite recomendations on 'Best Pubs' or 'Best Eats' in Niseko?

Is there a Mixed, Open Air Onsen in Niseko itself or are they all seperate men and wemen?

Thanks everyone.

By backcountry do you mean true backcountry or off-piste? There is a huge amount of terrain accessed from the peak and other gates that isn't really backcountry as you use lifts to access it and ski out to the lifts. Whether you need a guide or not depends on whether you feel confident exploring areas that are not patrolled and do have avalanche dangers.

Lots of great places to eat. If you are there for a couple of weeks you should be able to try most of them. Some are getting expensive though.

There is no mixed onsen in Hirafu. The nearest is at the Grand Hotel in Konbu Spa which is a bit further on from Annupuri ski area.

Thanks Go Native

Shame about the onsen's. I have heard ski japan do a bus trip to a m,ixed outdoor one for $12 or so. Have to go see them when we get there.

I did just mean the terrain off the back of the mountain, through the gates. Is it easy to explore? Do we need avi gear? Any sugestions? Dont wont to get lost and have to hike for a few hours, and don't want to put ourselves in avoidable danger through ignorence of the situation.

There is avalanche danger on the slopes off the peak and it is advisable to have avi gear (although plenty of people don't, really up to you). Because of the normal poor visibility (it's almost always cloudy here) there is some potential of getting a little lost. Still if the peak is open there should be heaps of people heading up and you can ask which ways to head down. If money is not a huge issue then a guide would be useful.

In terms of eating there is a great little publication in town called the 'Wine and Dine Guide' which will give you a good idea of what's available.

Thanks mate. Appreciate your tips. Unfortunately money is not too abundant, thanks to the high cost of gettting there and that i decided to replace all my gear. Anyway, we might attack the back in the second week if we feel confident. Or if we have some spare money might do a tour.

I have got a 'Wine and Dine Guide' from 06 that i have looked through, will pick up a new one when i get there. thought someone might have their own little favourite spot to recomend.

Again, thanks heaps.

For all the popular places like Abu-cha, Big Cliff, Bang Bang, Wild Bills, etc it is avisable to book well in advance (preferably before you arrive). As part of your package there should be a local company looking after your ground services and they may be able to make advance bookings for you. Personally I still don't think you can beat the Jo's Jo's burgers for good value but I mainly eat off the hill down in Kutchan these days. Lots of good restaurants down in K town that are less crowded and you'll actually feel like you are in Japan!

Niseko Accom Price Guage

Hi,

We are lookin' at some accom. in Niseko, Japan.

A well-located (a cppl of mins walk to lift) comfortable (western-style furnishings, not Japanese style on the floor bedding & seating etc.) self-contained 3-bedroom apartment that sleeps 6 ppl easily, up to 8 max.

Based on 7 ppl share in this kind of accom. and a stay of at least 7 nights, during the period we are considering, the price works out around:

JPY$ 10600 = AUD$ 113 per person per night.

For those that can compare, would you say that this kind of price is around the average in that area, or above average, or well above average/high end?

Thanks,

S.