hey

quick question

if I were to miss a shinkansen (with reserved seats) on the way back from a trip - what's the deal?

can I just jump on the next shinkansen but in the unreserved section?

if so, do I have to pay extra?

hi Rob - I kindly asked my wife for her take on this one as I kinda thought it was an interesting question and would like to know myself -anyway she said what she usually does when she misses the shink (implying that it has happened numerous times lol) is jump on the unreserved section of the following one `for no extra charge` adding that this is `not illegal` - there you goin a nutshell I guess -sounds like you are adhering to the motto of the boyscouts `be prepared`- no harm in that -gd luck

You can transfer the reserved seat only if you do it before the train it was reserved on departs. After departure you can still reserve a new seat, but you will have to pay the difference between the reserved and unreserved seat tickets.

You are not able to do it, not even get on a unreserved seat, if you have a 1 day deal with lift tickets for a resort. Nevertheless, I have done it and no one bothered me.

If you have day trip discount shinkansen tickets, the JR people may try and insist that you take the seats you've reserved. I found this out when trying to catch an earlier-than-reserved train back to Tokyo from Echigo Yuzawa. I ignored them and got on a nearly-empty carriage of free seats anyway. No consequences - but it may be worth knowing.

Last one from gala is at 7:04pm. And it was empty so we could stretch out our weary legs.

Last one from echigo-yuzawa on weekdays is at 10:22pm.

Weekends the last one from gala is a bit later at 7:57pm