I picked up some new skins at Rappie's on saturday evening. As all my friends were busy snowboarding on the baby slopes and the pistes were pretty icy on Sunday, I decided to give them a test run with a light hike up from the Grat quad to the first peak along the ridge. No skiing and no long distances as I was all on my lonesome.

I was pretty glad that I had selected shaped skins. Previously I had only skinned on powder, which was very easy going. On the pitted crust that was coating the ridgeline, grip was occasionally a little trickier. I even slipped over one time and started sliding down the face. It took me a couple of secs to stop myself as well as I hadn't factored in the free-heels, which meant that it was a little harder to just jam my skis into the ice. Anyway, the extra surface area definitely made a difference.

Here are some photos from the top. You've all seen the same views captured far better by the usual Hakuba crew (I am a bad photographer, and on top of that the weather was cloudy), but it was a real pleasure to take them in with my own eyes. I will see them again in just a couple of days!

Just to prove it

kingofmyrrh_21.jpg

Please forgive the jacket pattern...

kingofmyrrh_23.jpg

Some of the views

kingofmyrrh_22.jpg

kingofmyrrh_20.jpg

kingofmyrrh_19.jpg

kingofmyrrh_18.jpg

kingofmyrrh_17.jpg

kingofmyrrh_16.jpg

kingofmyrrh_15.jpg

kingofmyrrh_14.jpg

Originally Posted By: Stuntcok
I don't see any reason to appologise for the jacket either. Not until FT appologises for his purple getup he wears this year at least. ;\)

The trousers are quite... eyecatching.

Still, I think he can back up the style with his skiing a little better than I can!
 Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
Nice going Kin!
Did you end up dropping somewhere? ;\)

I wanted to, but I didn't. The visibility was great and I couldn't see what might have gone wrong, but I've read enough stuff here and elsewhere to let caution win over, especially considering that I am inexperienced and was alone. I hadn't even checked any avy forecasts that morning. I'm basically "all the gear but no idea", although I am super keen to get more experience under my belt. It was so refreshing just to go for a short hike in the open - although my heart was hammering on the steep sections, it's hard work!

Fear is the mindkiller (borrowed line grin.gif ) when coming down a slope but your best advisor when going up. ;\)

I hardy ever hike alone and I am not that more experienced than you. Just did my ARAC course last season. You should try do take an avie course someday. It wont make you a BC expert, but it will open your eyes to what's out there.

Good job and good choice not to drop anything. Getting up there and taking a look is a great idea though. The ridge is a safe walk and a safe ski back down. The conditions in the high alpine are horrible at the moment. Your ski wouldve been on wind loaded slopes or just plain ice! Baby steps and youll get into those lines sooner than you think.

Thanks guys. Yes, I think I am beginning to lose the fearlessness of youth at an ever accelerating rate. I am going to do the Evergreen course at the start of March, should be helpful.

I think this thread:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/5707/Number/100997#Post100997

has been a good guide for as to the good things and the bad things that can happen in the big mountains. The terrain looks gorgeous, but brings its risks.

Originally Posted By: Kingofmyrrh
 Originally Posted By: Stuntcok
I don't see any reason to appologise for the jacket either. Not until FT appologises for his purple getup he wears this year at least. ;\)
The trousers are quite... eyecatching.
I noticed some fish on ft's purple outfit lol.gif

King-san, nice pictures and you look very different with your ski jacket. wave.gif