Heading to Japan for a bit of snowboarding in a couple of weeks and wondering about wearing a helmet...

Have never really used one but thinking with the amount of off piste in Japan it may be something worthwhile? Or are Japanese trees not worth worrying about :)?

Interested in hearing your thoughts,

thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helmet makes sense even on piste. This has been discussed quite a bit on here, so try a search ;\) I took a spill on piste (kinda - I was poaching a small powder stash right on the edge) and my helmet certainly saved my a big headache. I never board without now. Warmth factor is good too thumbsup.gif

Helmets are a necessity. My gf had been riding for 12 years when I had just started to learn. She never wore a helmet. One night boarding down Rinkan in Hirafu she tried a jump and took a spill. I saw the wipeout in slow motion, head hitting the slope, etc. I was terrified. I told her I would not go boarding anymore until she bought a helmet. Now, she loves the helmet. Her many point about wearing a helmet is that she looks good in the helmet, keeps her warmer than her beanie and that she can duck little tree branches with more confidence.

So, get a helmet, wear it and join the cool club.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
 Originally Posted By: dwh
Or are Japanese trees not worth worrying about :)?

Would you ride this without a helmet? \:\)
tsondaboy_141.JPG

Yes.

But that is beside the point.

This has discussed in previous threads many times... have a search and get everyone's experiences (hint - nobody is going to tell you to ride without a helmet!) of helmets / which helmets fit and work best.

More to the point... you say you want a helmet due to 'the amount of off piste in Japan'... well, there is off piste everywhere (heaps more in USA/Canada/Europe) so as well as a helmet consider your abilites and the wider safety issues of riding 'off piste'.

Other than that, have a nice trip.
 Originally Posted By: AK 77
 Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
 Originally Posted By: dwh
Or are Japanese trees not worth worrying about :)?

Would you ride this without a helmet? \:\)
tsondaboy_141.JPG

Yes.

But that is beside the point.

This has discussed in previous threads many times... have a search and get everyone's experiences (hint - nobody is going to tell you to ride without a helmet!) of helmets / which helmets fit and work best.

More to the point... you say you want a helmet due to 'the amount of off piste in Japan'... well, there is off piste everywhere (heaps more in USA/Canada/Europe) so as well as a helmet consider your abilites and the wider safety issues of riding 'off piste'.

Other than that, have a nice trip.

You're right pretty obvious no one will say you don't need one... I guess I just needed some support in getting one.. cos i know how good it can be on a sunny day without one.

Well i guess its not so much the amount of off piste in Japan but the amount of off piste below the tree line. For example any worthwhile off piste in europe is almost certainly going to be above the tree line since thats where the best/most snow falls.

Heading to rusutsu and niseko from 3rd feb!

thanks for the replys. Now i will have to find the most lightweight and comfortable helmet!

If you would not use it to terrain like this, then you don't need it for Niseko or Rusutsu. \:\)

The trees there don't get any denser or steeper than the ones in the photo (which I don't consider steep or dense in the first place)!

Also consider what other people are doing ... most of the time the helmet is not for what you are doing but for the dufus that ram's into you!

I have said it before and I will say it again - you wear a seatbelt despite the fact that it is unlikely you will have a car accident - so why not wear a stackhat despite the unlikely event of a nasty whack to the head....

Depends how much you value the head...huh?

Samurai loves telling people to shut up. I bet your a crusty ol man arn't you.

Even if your an expert that doesn't stop the totally out of control noob retard from smashing into you.

I usually don't wear a helmet, and the worst part about it is that I have a pretty nice one. I keep telling myself to start but I am not comfortable with it yet. Truth is I feel really stupid for not wearing it.