K2 Cinch CTX Bindings are somewhat similar to a Flow Binding in two respects: (1) Step in option on Cinch and (2) heavy than average.

The K2 Cinch can be used as a regular binding or as a step-in. However, the K2 Cinch has a seperate two strap that is adjusted independent of the ankle strap.

Once you step in on the K2 Cinch you can still tighten down the ankle strap.

Originally Posted By: Samui Kitsune
I noticed that my K2 Autos are Made In China. I know my present company has many problems relating to manufacturing quality at its China factories. It is such a big problem that they are sending a team of Japanese engineers and Patent Attorneys to China for the next year just to work on the quality issue. This is already in addition to the quality control staff that my company already maintains in China.

OT, but:

PRC factories are notorius for saying, "Yeah, we can make that," making an initial production run just like you want, then slowly substituting non-conforming materials or practices that are not outwardly visible. When something breaks or goes wrong and the investigation ensues, it's always, "our subcontractor/supplier changed it and we didn't know." It really is necessary to have someone* on-site at all times, and to pull product on a random basis for testing to keep them honest and on their toes (* best if that "someone" is your own someone, and not a hired local representative someone who can take $ from both sides to report what each side wants to hear).

I've never used step-in's and at this stage i guess i probably never will, but the K2's and the Flow's seem to be pretty bulky and the K2's seem to weigh a ton. I have also seen the metal wires on the K2's becoming unraveled on several pairs. Burton seems to me to have always had the best product on the mkt purely because they can afford the higher R&D costs and can experiment with new technologies etc. Not to mention it's super easy to pick up burton parts anywhere and the main components will be repeated on the design for multiple seasons.... if i wanted a pure step-in i would probably check out the Shimano's - adjustable highback, looks much easier entry than flow or K2 heel-entry system and they pop right into the snowshoes as well so that's super easy too. anybody tried those?

So much stuff is made in China these days there is bound to be stuff that is done on the cheap, but given the enormous volume of stuff that gets produced, you’d have to say that generally they don’t do too bad a job. That said, on a recent trip home my wife and I wanted to have our daughter sit in a carry on travel seat. The (Chinese) check in people at the QANTAS desk gave us a hard time because the seat had been made in China and therefore they didn’t consider it to be safe. After a lot of yelling, they let us use it.

It wasn’t until later that we fully appreciated the irony of Chinese people telling two Aussies that they couldn’t use their FAA approved seat on an Australian plane because the seat was made in China!

Originally Posted By: stillnoprogress
if i wanted a pure step-in i would probably check out the Shimano's - adjustable highback, looks much easier entry than flow or K2 heel-entry system and they pop right into the snowshoes as well so that's super easy too. anybody tried those?

I used to run the pre-highback Shimano/K2 stuff "back in the day" (like when they first came out). The bindings are supremely well-made, but the limitation was in the boots. K2 and Shimano made boots, then toward the tail end, Ride made some also. In general, all the boots sucked, so I went over to regular strap bindings so I could use good boots of my own choosing, rather than being saddled by having to choose the least evil of four or five models.
 Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Really, I'd been told that you couldn't use them with a rack. Thats good to know

TB, whoever told you that is spinning you complete and utter BS.
Maybe what they meant is that upside down you might have a problem, but as long as your board in on top facing upwards you will have no probs. (you fold the backs down just as you would with a normal pair of bindings.)

I purchased Union Force Bindings tonight. I like the fact that they are machined baseplates with a lifetime warranty. For some odd reason, this is extremely important to me having now broken a baseplate.

Another good point about the Union Force Bindings are that they are Made In Italy. Now, I have no idea is Italy produces quality plastic components, but I do like Italian shoes, Italian fabrics and Italian cars. You can keep the women, they are too crazy! My friend is married to an Italian women (granted she grew up in New York, but her parents are first generation emigrants to US) and I think she is going to kill me when I drop him off a few minutes late after playing a round of golf. Scary! Note, my friend has lost most of his hair since marrying that women.

Anyway, back to Union Force Bindings:

Simple, clean lines

Made In Italy (but assembled in China)

Machined & lifetime warranty baseplates

Aluminum extruded heelcup

Adjustable gas pedal

Heavy duty magnesium buckles

P.S. They fit the K2 T1 D.B. boot nicely size 28.5cm in size XL binding (Says XL on base, but box says L).