Uniqlo is my "fleece" provider. You really can't beat the price/quality ratio. My wife and I quite like the casual/around-the-house stuff.

sierra trading post .com is my silk and merino provider. Last summer I stopped into their outlet when on a road trip in the states and bought two silk shirts for 10 bucks a pop and a merino lightweight shirt for less than 20.

I have a full set of Merino Icebreaker gear - base layer and midlayers - tops, trousers and even a dress.

The base layers I have been wearing here every day - gave the snow skins the flick on day one after the seam irritated on my leg in the boots (and they are SO tight there was no hoisting up to my knees!!). The Merino's have had one wash since being here - they didn't need it but after 3 days I felt I "SHOULD" - been wearing them for 3 days again and they do not need a wash at all - smell lovely in fact (Chanel #5!) - and they have kept me lovely and warm.

I have irritations to wool against my skin - I itch and scratch - have done since a child. So when we first kitted up for the snow I bought Poly. Guess where the Poly are? Yup - at home in the wardrobe!! I will never go back now that I have tried the Merino Icebreaker.

This Uniglo sounds interesting - I would like to give it a go at some stage because boy14 wont wear a wool thermal - or even a regular poly one - he has one thin thin thin poly one he loves and wears upon occassion but mostly it is t-shirt then jacket.

Now what I want to know is how do I keep my feet warm - I have tried the lot ...2 pairs of thermal and snowboard specific socks and those toastie toes warmers but I am still battling to keep the feeling in my feet and the pain away when the feeling comes back as they defrost!

Is the loss of feeling not due to your boots and bindings being too tight on your feet? Slacken them a little and see if it improves, otherwise get yourself a heat pad and stuff it in there!! \:D

Uniqlo is a cheap clothing store in Japan, kinda similar to Next in the UK (Thats the closest I can think of). the heat tech thermals have worked for me although I did run into the same problem as you with the seam irritating my leg while in the boot, my solution was to wear them over the socks as opposed to under them, seemed to do the trick

Mamabear, I've sourced some heated insoles for my wife's boots. At 30 degs they last 8 hours. Lithium Ion batteries rechargeable overnight. The power packs strap to the boot.

I think it's a purely girlie thing and I would not be seen dead with it. But if it keeps her happy on the slopes then that means freedom for me.

Thanks thursday - not sure that is something I can source now that I am here - but worth keeping an eye on. I have always been the cold feet kind of girl ... yesterday I had a pair of thin thermal damart socks, thick icebreaker snowboard socks AND toastie toes wrapped over the toes - and when I pulled the little pads out when I came in and gave them to Hubby to feel they were like ice bags - then within mintes they were hot...looks like my icey feet just SUCK the warmth right outta them!

I do tend to clamp the bindings tight, and also the boots (Boa's) as I get a bit of heel lift and I am still learning the turns. So I slacken it on the chair/in the Gondola (yay for Boa's) but I really do think it is mainly the cold that is the problem.

I will give the snow skins a go OVER the socks but inside the boots - great suggestion, Tubby.

mamabear, in all honesty, you may be wearing too many pairs of socks. circulation is your friend.

don't wear the same socks you drove to the mountain with. they're already wet.

change socks at the hill and put your boots on when warm.

Keep your feet from overheating.

Saw a young Aussie guy up at King Bell today with them on - he said they are great and told me his Dad ordered them from the USA on the internet. I would love to get some to try them out as it is driving me NUTS!

I was riding with one pair of socks - and I froze - so I added the little disposable toe warmers - NADA. Then I added another pair of socks. Then I added the disposable toe warmers to THAT.

Today it was just the 2 pairs of socks - but still the feet ice up and go numb!

The guy today was on ski's, and I checked out the set up - I wonder if it would hold as well on snowboard boots...

There has got to be something that will keep me riding longer between hot chocolate and defrost the feet breaks! If I could lay hands on some of these tomorrow I WOULD. Any chance I will find them in Niseko somewhere...?....Anyone...?

Originally Posted By: thursday.
yes, next season.

Ohh you BIG TEASE!

Today I my feet were COVERED in snow most of the day - I had a private lesson in the powder - sure ate a lot too!! And I took the advice to go for the thin stretchy (Damart) thermal socks (and I wore the toastie toes heater pads on top of the socks) - and while I got a few numb bits upon occassion it was much better. I think I was wearing too many socks, too tight socks and cranking the boas a bit much.

Still worth considering for the future.

I have been using bridgdale socks for several seasons now.

There precisions model is an excellent mid weight sock made from a merino wool and synthetic mix. Absolutely love them feet are never cold. \:\)

There rather hard to find in Japan well at least around Sapporo.

I never thought about thermal socks.

I must have a good hard think about them.

For my ski boots i use thin ski socks and for snowboard boots i use thicker socks and have them tied up loosely, otherwise i get sore feet.