During this trip to Furano, one of my friends twisted his knee on the slope and after a brief rest I suggested he walk back down the slope but he found that even that was too painful, so I skied down and called for help from the ski patrol. They stretchered him down to the ski patrol base station, where I was waiting, quite quickly after checking his injuries. Then they checked his injury again and gave him some elastic bandages for support of his knee. On flat ground, he could walk much better so we thought we would go to the bus stop to wait for the shuttle bus back to the hotel. That was due in about an hour. However, the ski patrol said they would drive us all the way back to the hotel. That was very nice of them and they didn't charge even a yen.

I just realized that the situation is quite different in France. I remember that a friend also twisted her knee once on the slope and when I asked for help from the ski patrol, they said that if they stretched her down to the bottom, it would cost a lot. I think the amount quoted was 200 Euros or something like that. Fortunately, we were not too far from a gondola station and we were able to walk there and take the gondola down.

I wonder whether they charge in the U.S. and Canada.

Even if there were charges, surely he had ski insurance?

Must add I never travel without insurance. Just such a thing could be horrible when it's time to call for the bill (as in check, not plod).

And to add also, the patrol at Furano sound pretty nice as opposed to some of the past posts calling them "storm troopers"

fjef's son, new nickname Ghengis, who's only 10 years old, pulled a sick air about 2 meters of the ground and flew prolly 3-4 meters got stuck and had to be rescued by patrol today...she was a honey too but he said he didnt get her number cuz she wasnt cute enough for him...

ill let him tell the story later...

A guy in Niseko recently broke his leg badly and had to have surgery and will likely be in hospital for around a month and unfortunately for him he has no insurance!!! Idiot...

Originally Posted By: Go Native
A guy in Niseko recently broke his leg badly and had to have surgery and will likely be in hospital for around a month and unfortunately for him he has no insurance!!! Idiot...

please correct me if i`m wrong but if have an accident on the slope in Japan you can claim on the resorts insurance.....
 Originally Posted By: stemik

please correct me if i`m wrong but if have an accident on the slope in Japan you can claim on the resorts insurance.....

Curiosuly, if the accident is not as a result of the resort's negligence, (which you would need to sue to ascertain), why would the resort's insurance cover you?

one of my friends snapped her femur around a small tree just off the alpen quad a few years ago. it was a pretty horrific break, with her front leg wrapped around a tree and her foot almost touching her head. i would say she was an intermediate rider, so it wasn't like she was screaming along either.

anyway, they stretchered her down, took her to kutchan in an ambulance where she spent a month in hospital. despite a few weeks of physio she couldn't bend he leg at all, and flew home to oz lying down on 3 business class eats, plus a nurse for the flight.

when she got back to sydney x-rays showed that her leg was set incorrectly and they had to re-break it. brutal. anyway, i think the cost was around the $100,000 mark at the end of it all, all covered by travel insurance.

i'm constantly amazed by the amount of m friends who don't buy travel insurance when going away

seeing someone get skiied down the mountain in an orange stretcher is always a sad sight

Originally Posted By: thurs
 Originally Posted By: stemik

Curiosuly, if the accident is not as a result of the resort's negligence, (which you would need to sue to ascertain), why would the resort's insurance cover you?

i thought the resort insurance covers you becasue you injured yourself on their land.
I had a mtn bike accident 10 years ago at Fuji Panarama ski resort - the resort paid for most of the medical costs. Not sure if insurance was included in the lift ticket price

The Patrol in France is usually quite professional.

But it is true that it will cost you a lot to get stretched down.

It is highly recommended to pay a little bit more on top of the resort pass in order to get insurance coverage.

Once you get stretched down the slopes, then the dodgy dealings start. In the old days, a broken leg would be sent to the local hospital for treatment, no questions asked. Now the ambulances companies have some 'agreements' with the local doctors in order to have the patients delivered directly to their doors for treatment. You would have to insist heavily to be sent to the hospital.