We ummed and ahhed (?) about Tohoku, but it just ended up being a lot of travelling big distances between places (compared with what we are doing) - as well as in the end the resorts not being as appealing. Maybe next year as we think it through more.

I don't mind at all.

We are staying in a very nice modern but traditional looking ryokan in Nozawa, a hotel in the Ichinose area of Shiga Kogen and a really nice place in Hakuba run by a Japanese family.

All complete with limited English speaking abilities! ;\)

I really wanted the names, but never mind. I think its allowed so long as you don't post hyperlinks.

I'm all for people having a Japanese experience in Japan, btw. I'm just interested to see what visitors from overseas think it is. A lot of us have been here so long that many (definitely not all!) Japanese things seem kind of normal.

I know, it was me who didn't want to post specific names. \:\)

First of all, we didn't want to stay at a place that was owned by, run by and mostly visited by gaijin. Nothing against those places or gaijin, of course, just not for us. Not interested in being surrounded by mostly other English speakers.

When we have been in Japan before one of the things we really enjoyed most (perhaps as much as the time on the mountain even) was the not-much-English environment, meeting some really great Japanese people and experiencing Japan whatever that means. It was a lot of fun.

And to be blunt, last year a fair few of the "foreigners" that we met were exactly the type of people we like to normally avoid - and we can enjoy the kind of tomfoolery that seemed to be the choice behaviour that was on show back in London if we want any day of the year. When we're in Hakuba we'll pick up some info on where the "gaijin bars" are, and make a point of avoiding them.

It seems such a waste of an experience to go all that way to somewhere like Japan to just be surrounded by people who are like your mates back home.

It's one of the reasons we didn't choose Niseko. It's one of the reasons why were are still interested in places in Tohoku, but not this time (for other reasons).

Something like that.

I suppose you're booked up, but if you want full on tradtional Japanese rural architecture, I know a couple of great places to stay in Nozawa and Hakuba. We normally try to stay in places like that ourselves, although some of them aren't so keen on toddlers.

That said, we live about 20 yards from one of Hakuba's biggest gaijin bars and are a snowball's throw from two backpackers popular with gaijin, but it doesn't bother us in the slightest. Living anywhere near a party pub in the UK would completely do my head in.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate

And to be blunt, last year a fair few of the "foreigners" that we met were exactly the type of people we like to normally avoid - and we can enjoy the kind of tomfoolery that seemed to be the choice behaviour that was on show back in London if we want any day of the year. When we're in Hakuba we'll pick up some info on where the "gaijin bars" are, and make a point of avoiding them.

It seems such a waste of an experience to go all that way to somewhere like Japan to just be surrounded by people who are like your mates back home.

It's one of the reasons we didn't choose Niseko. It's one of the reasons why were are still interested in places in Tohoku, but not this time (for other reasons).

Something like that.

Nice sentiment 2 Pints. I agree in theory. The problem is that you can often miss out on things due to the langauge barrier. Gaijins that live in Japan most likely take for granted their ability to speak Japanese well, and are likely to get all the minute details they need about a place.
I like a bit of gaijin influence mixed in with my trip. Not too much though.

Sounds great trip. thumbsup.gif

3rd time.

We didn't have problems before... and the ones we did have were dealt with well and ended up being part of the fun.

Anyway, we are both members of these forums for a number of years - it's not as if we don't know anything!

\:\)