stupid question. where to buy a power adaptor in niseko?

ok, first up, we are numb nuts. we should have bought one back in australia, and we didn't <slap>

the plan was to pick one up at the airport, but our connections were so tight that we did not get a chance - and so now we are without power. \:\(

so far, we have checked with the SeicoMart (no luck) then down to Kutchan to check the Co-op, Besto Denki, Home Mac?, Max Value and the cosmetics store next to that, all with no luck. my best bet so far has been to buy a screw-together-plug from Home Mac and butcher the cable for my laptop so that I can at least get some power to the lappy, but that still leaves my video camera and mobile without mains power.

no power means no video footage from niseko \:\(

sooooooo, does anyone have the inside scoop as to where to buy power adaptors in the niseko region?? pretty please? \:D

cheers everyone. thanks for the tips. sorry about the bad placement of the post. (will chuck it into off-topic next time - too many suntory....)

i will try chatting with reception. we have been having fun practising our japanese with the staff at our hotel. this will be a worthy challenge.

i keep getting told I haven't posted enough on SJ to be able to PM people, so I may be stuck there. I will give the other options a crack before hassling Mike and co. (although I suspect I will be hassling the aforementioned to see if they are up for a beer later in the week \:D )

cheers, and thanks again - arigato-o gozaimasu <bow>

email SJForums to turn on your pm's..

waiting for your pics, (patiently)...

edit. just seen them on the other thread. sorry.. blush.gif

\:\)

I have an adaptor in my pack ready to go. \:\)

and good luck with it all mate...

OK guys.

I bought a fantastic adaptor in Perth for the last trip to Niseko. Fantastic why? It is a MULTI adaptor. Pretty much one of the 5 little adaptors that make it up will work in whatever country you are in. I bought 2 of this type as well as the standard large Jap-Aus plugs. Where this came in handy was with the items that used 3 pins rather than 2.

All the j-a plugs accepted only 2 pin aussie plugs - that is great except we had things with 3 pins. The way the other one works allows that 3rd pin (the earth) to be sitting free.

I used them in China recently and I think that one of the j-plugs died - so I will make sure I get down and buy me another entire set before we head over = they were brilliant!

I will take a pic of the set up today and then link to it through photobucket so if anyone is looking for plugs BEFORE they go they have the info.

Sorry about your dilemma Projectsplat! Wish I could help, but by the time a post article arrived you'de be gone!

Splat,

Best Denki has them in kutchan, maybe hard to find but I bought a couple 2 weeks ago.

700 yen, walk in the door, maybe 3 or 4 rows in turn right, look down and back towards the front door. They are near the bottom but look nothing like the Korji?? one's that we get at home.

Alternatively, you can buy a new power lead that plugs into you power box (PC only though) which is a bit more expensive but will do the same thing.

Good luck, maybe going to Bills for a beer tonight if you are around.

Cheers NeverSummer.

We hit up Best Denki yesterday, with no luck. We found the adaptors, but all of the aussie ones were gone. \:\(

I did spot the power lead option, but decided against it in the hope of buying a proper adaptor - then proceeded to butcher my laptop cable last night just so I could get the book working.

Beers at bills could be good.I will give you a shout later in the day once we have gotten some snow.

Hey Mamabear,

I think i did spot one of those adaptors in Best Denki yesterday, but I pulled it all apart and could not find a way to get an aussie plug into it. I think we are heading down to Kutchan again today, so will give it another crack then.

Cheers

Alister

This is the one I have:

Mine cost $20 - but of course I bought it at a Travel store in Claremont - should have hot footed it to Wellington Surplus!! Maybe I will for the replacement one!

World Travellers Plug Set

Editted to add: Having just gone and checked my 2 sets I a pleased to say that this SMART little girl has TOSSED the j-plug that was dodgy in China, and so I do not need to scratch my head wondering which one works and which one doesn't! YAY for being organised. Now to source a replacement. With a laptop, video camera, a mobile phone, 4 pic camera's, and 4 game boys to keep charged we need more than ONE!

This might sound dodgey but it has worked for me in the past. I'm pretty sure Japan power sockets are the same as the US, with 2 vertical pins, right?

You can get a leatherman or some pliers and slightly bend your pins on the Aussie plug so they fit in the slots.

Mantas,

Are you kidding?

Not only would I not want to damage the equipment I was plugging in or the plugs - but life and limb!

I will pack an extra adaptor, and if I see you in January it is yours buddy - you need protecting!!