How does a thread become a hot thread?

easy, ask questions that will inflame passions.

An example would be:

Steve Irwin vs Evil Knievel, who was the better/lesser man?

Otherwise I noticed that the gear reviews seem to attract a fair amount of viewings with little postings (I hope we can get more reviews this year) and generally attracts more non jp or oz viewers. Same to a certain extent for the bc threads. Just a gut feeling, but could be wrong.

• SnowJapan Admin

It is something we can set and is dependent on the number of replies and/or the number of views for a topic.

Lets playing game. What do you think the conditions are at the moment?

Realistically, "hot" should be determined by several factors, anf depend on reaching various thresholds, and taken from an 'average" of all other posts.

So, it SHOULD be determined by:

number of total posts

number of posts per hour/day

number of users from the website posting/getting involved

If threaded conversation, number of replies to certain comments (not just thread).

Searched content & response to content

Realistically, I assume the easiest method, that is prolly applied here would be number of reponses per hour/day, and number of replies?

I may be wrong.

Anyhow, it's not rocket science, but a good question Thursday...

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Whats with the "trying to make things overly-complex" gig? You all sound like Japanese town office workers.

Hot = number of replies.

So, if 2 people, from 4000 are using a thread like a chatbox, this makes it worth being "hot"?
Noooo!. That would suck. What's so complex?, it is a very simple php query. You always need thresholds & limits.

But, I do agree grungy, it is overly-complex, but sorts out the crap posts from the good stuff =)
  • SnowJapan Admin

I'm afraid we're going to have to disappoint yet again. \:\(

At the moment the settings are that a thread becomes "hot" if either of these conditions is satisfied:

50 replies

1000 page views.

We can easily change those numbers if something is more appropriate.

Other ideas are unfortunately not going to come anywhere near the top of our "things to do" list ;\)