Originally Posted By: projectsplat
 Originally Posted By: SJForums
Like we said in the report, apologies for the confusion on this.

is cool SJ. again thanks for your efforts here. they are greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: SJForums
Well, yes.

We just got a mail in which someone branded the whole of SnowJapan as "not credible" and "a bit of a joke" because of this issue. Nice way to start the day....

\:\(

that is not cool. i think that sometimes people forget that the people running the site are actually human.

and the fact that there isn't a snow japan employee in EVERY resort taking measurements. It certainly is a great service thats provided here and I reckon 99.9% of people who use this site will agree

The thing that gets me about this site - apart from the fact that it is an unequalled (anywhere in the world) resource and totally free service ;\) is that the guys who run it are so responsive and involved and so obviously do care about it all. Where else do you get anything like that?

If people have some issue then just email SJ and they'll look after it for you, and probably extremely quickly as well from my experience.

I would also ignore unreasonable people like that. While they may feel they have something to say, there's really no need to go over the top with silly comments like that.

\:\)

I noticed that Niseko Now erased their snow statistics and are going to go with what the resort is reporting. Surely statistics compiled independently by NOW people under SJ supervision are far, FAR more reliable than what the resorts post...

Originally Posted By: MikePow
For Friday 07 December 2007

Snow depth is no longer an issue at Grand Hirafu. There's plenty.

From here on in it's all about snow in the past 24 hrs \:\)

No way! Sasa's all gone? Already?!
  • SnowJapan Admin

Well, if we kept the last few days info on the main page, it would just confuse the matter more, wouldn't it?

And what you suggest - that caused us such a lot of problems didn't it? And in actual fact, the Now report numbers have traditionally used the official numbers in the table.

It seems we just cannot win.....

It is impossible for us to ask our report posters (who are all of course located in that location) to go out and measure snow depth every day on the mountain, and if we did do that, where exactly would they take it from anyway?

The text commentary for each day will reflect how much snow has fallen each day and in the village - written from personal experience - so you should be getting a good and reliable idea of what is going on each day.

------

ger - I have increased the video size limit on the tv site:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/247603#Post247603

Originally Posted By: ger
 Originally Posted By: MikePow
For Friday 07 December 2007

Snow depth is no longer an issue at Grand Hirafu. There's plenty.

From here on in it's all about snow in the past 24 hrs \:\)

No way! Sasa's all gone? Already?!

Still showing through, but easily avoidable.

More terrain COULD and SHOULD be open.

as posted in the "first snow on Yotei" thread, I have noticed a few people using a slightly different scale for measuring snow depth. (MikePow etc..)

Based on this I have prepared a little chart outlining a proposed snow depth measurement scale.... \:D

Without further ado, I present to you the Biometric Snow Depth Measurement system.

snow-depth.jpg

It does need some modification, such as the inclusion of a height reference for the fool in the photo, but you get the drift...

apologies in advance for the double post, but I thought this would get a bit more mileage in a more relevant thread.... \:\)

Cheers

Alister

- and yes, I am stirring here, and think that the Now! reports are great. this is just for $h!7's and giggles.... ;\)

Originally Posted By: thursday
can you do one for skiers please.

Boarders usually drag knuckles on the ground. ;\)

i was trying to think of a witty response there, but nope - I've got nothing..... \:\(

Skiers, on the other hand, use the metric system, which is archaic and dull.
 Originally Posted By: ger
 Originally Posted By: thursday
can you do one for skiers please.

Boarders usually drag knuckles on the ground. ;\)

i was trying to think of a witty response there, but nope - I've got nothing..... \:\(

Skiers, on the other hand, use the metric system, which is archaic and dull.

yeah! that was it! that is exactly the kind of thing I was attempting to come up with.. \:D

thanks ger - and take that you skiers... \:D

Al
- always good when someone else comes up with your comebacks for you.