I am a 26-year old college grad and snowboarding enthusiast. Upon graduation from a well-respected American University I have been working a white collar job for the past 4 years. Recently I realized how unhappy this lifestyle has made me. I am interested in becoming a snowboarding instructor in Japan. I do not speak Japanese (though am willing to learn) but have solid snowboarding skills. I also played college basketball and am in good physical shape. Does anyone have any helpfule hints in getting out there for the snowboarding season?

-Bored in NYC

On Hokkaido at least, you have to be certified and show that you've instructed for at least 36 months to get a 'skilled labor' visa.

There are working holiday visas available to Australians and Canadians where the 36 month rule doesn't apply. Don't know if the US is in the programme.

Well, i suggest that you try contacting some of the Australian schools in Hokkaido and see if they need anyone.

But do you have any teaching experience, or a liscence?

To come over and teach at a Japanese school you generally need their equivelant of an instructors certificate. Plus, you need enough japanese to adequatey convey sometimes very subtle movements.

i do know of one or two guys that have come and taught without any experince, but that is very rare, and you pretty much need to know someone within the school to do that. But even beyond that, i don't reccommend it. You should really have some training under your belt in order to properly teach someone in the least painful way possible.

i suggest you take a season off and work for your intructors liscence out at a western resort first, and then if yuu are still interested in Japan come on out.

Being from the US hurts,, because you cant get an easy Visa like a working holiday visa. If you dont have a certification it will be hard to be employed. A few years ago a Gaijin run outdoor op got into really big trouble using a certified guide that had no Visa. No visa equals no insurance equals disaster. In NYC you can get your level 1 ticket around now look into it but the Visa is going to be a problem.