in the market for another board and came across a 163 board (forgot the model name. Price is down to 24000 from 55000 but curious on the build quality of the maker. I am an intermediate rider still on the learning curve. Primary use will be the park to learn boxes rails and jumps. Was listed as a med-flex board.

Any input??

Thanks FRANK

Nidecker used to be one of the best board maker in the early days and came up with some innovative designs then. That was quite a few years back tho. Now sure how they stack up nowadays, but if they kept the same philosophy to board making then should be a pretty good ride. Sorry, cannot help more than that.

nidecker is a pretty solid manufacturer that has a core following, would be more popular if snowboarding was less driven by trend...having said that, if you want a board for park, rails etc, the most important issues are flex, length, and stance options...you want a nice soft board, one that is a bit on the shorter side, and very importantly, has nice wide stance options so you can have a nice wide stance...this makes sliding rails so much more comfortable, and keeps you nice and low helping balance and all dat...hope that helps...

6'5" or 190 cm as of height so yeah I am the Jolly Giant. Major concern was that I bought a Burton baron ES last year that ran a high amount of cash and tore a nice gouge out of the base from a (box rail that wasnt bent fully down???) and the gouge runs about 20cm down the length of the board. No need to spend 700 on a board again as if I cant get my old board fixed,its toasted which = wasted cash.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/midnightcharger2/070204_14510001.jpg

Picture of my fallen soldier.

Nidecker is a good brand that has made some of the most innovative fs sticks out there... but there are also some 'made for rental' type models too... so please give a board model name!

If it was 55,000 originally it will probably be fine.

They also made some of the best bindings i have ever seen a few years back, but they seem to have dissapeared (they had carbon highbacks, and were the first I saw with cushioning under the baseplate). They were black and yellow....

I have two options at the moment. 1. is to try and send it into the shop and get it repaired

2. A friend and long time rider informed me that in the past with bad gouges like mine, plastic bottles as like shampoo bottles are make up of the same material. Liquidfying the plastic bottle (paying particular attention not to inhale the fumes)in a small aluminum can over a bunsen burner and having the board base preheated while pouring in the hot plastic will actually bond pretty well as give it the necessary flex when it hardens as it is a soft plastic. He mentioned that it will actually structure well enough to hold wax also. That is worth a try i imagine.

Had to fill it with drip in black ptex candles and that adds insult to injury. Besides since its in a high flex area the ptex cracks under the first run and constantly needs to be redone. But at least the gouge didnt hit the core and its still got 100 percent integrity.

But back on the Nidecker. Yeah ranged at 6man if I remember so I am going to blow some spare cash on that board as my spare.

get a shop to do it and it won't crack.

dude, look on the yahoo auctions. you can get top level boards for 1 man or 2 (only ridden a couple of times). especially this year since last year there was no snow. there were loads of punters that bought boards and then never went.