That was funny, I liked that part in the movie. I have always said that I hope Niseko succeeds mate. I never hoped or prayed that it would fail. The fact is the marketing engine created by Niseko has helped to give some resorts a second chance is a good thing. That marketing engine doesnt always spew out the facts but heck it's worked well and made some people very rich.

Terrain wise mate Niseko isnt steep admit it and get on with it. Many have admited it and thus we dont usally debate about it anymore. You wanna keep having a go then, Ill keep the quotes coming and the map facts postings up. You can decide to drop if you want to. You had a good try but Niseko is flat and thats a fact! everyone knows that can read a map.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: lpak
i have no idea how you guys got on the subject of maps but what do you think about Nozawa Onsen versus Hakkuba in terms of snow and terrain?

Nozawa clearly sounds like a sweet japanese style spot - will the snow and terrain make me happy? Are you allowed to go off piste?

thanks again..

Hakuba is 7 resorts in the row were Nozawa onsen is just one. Snow wise expect to find more or less the same conditions. Terain wise Hakuba gives you more options and is also one of the few areas in Japan that have alpine terrain (if you are willing to hike up that high), Nozawa has pretty nice terrain and enough steep parts to make you happy but not much choises. Atmosphere wise Nozawa would be the typical Japanese Onsen town, where hakuba is not that traditional any more.

Quote:
p.s. i'm a university lecturer and maybe 3 out of my class of 140 knew how to read contour maps.

I am also in the Geosciences and still half of the students don’t know how to read topo maps and even bigger part don’t know how to read a geological map... shifty.gif

specifically rocks? I'm atmospheric science - have to give a lab on how to read axes and contours now so that they can read MSLP charts...they see them on the news every night!! amazing hu...

ocean sciences? nah i'm atmospheric sciences...besides, AGU meetings are a nightmare. i try to goto smaller conferences in better locations \:\) In the end though, taking a real holiday is far more rewarding than a conference so, hence japan here i come !

Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat Hakuba's steep-Niseko's flat

There ya go Fatts, I just filled in a months worth of posts for you. Take a well earned break ;\)

I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko, I love Niseko,

There, that's better

Ipak

I can only comment on the Niseko and Rusutsu. I'd love to compare them with Hakuba and all the other places I've never been but there's only one machine in the world that does that, and Fattwins owns the only one in existence.

Anyway, I would be confident you would have a great time basing yourself in Niseko. Rusutsu is my all-time favourite place to ski.(and I've skied a fair few places). Rusutsu needs a dump to be worthwhile whereas some other places are still fun without deep snow. Objectively, Rusutsu shouldn't be that good but it has an amazing number of hidden, semi-hidden, and obvious tree runs. It also has some outrageous skiing over the back- you need to car-shuttle it back but some people actually just book a taxi for the day so they can all ski.Rusutsu is virtually empty. Rusutsu is just one of those places where, when its deep, you just giggle yourself stupid every run about how insane the skiing is.

Rusutsu and Niseko seem to act in a somewhat complimentary way because they face different ways, so one is often deeper than the other.

But... Rusutsu is deadly quiet at night ..and weird. Think of a half empty cruise ship with a few Japanese people, karaoke, some indoor carousels that Michael Jackson may have installed and an " all you can drink for 1100yen" Happy Three Hours with noone drinking in the bar.

So.. I would suggest staying in Niseko with a couple of day trips to Rusutsu when it dumps. Get a van when you stay in Niseko and you've got the freedom to move around the village, go to Kutchan at night, go to Moiwa, go to some of the nicer onsens outside of Hirafu.

I love Moiwa but it's a tough gig for snowboarders - long tricky runouts.

Niseko does have a lot of Aussies but , overall, I like Aussies.

The restaurants and bars are very Japanese, but you should avoid PowPows and Fatty's if you don't want the pub scene. There are heaps of other places to go.

The skiing in Niseko is excellent and a lot of it feels like lift-serviced backcountry.

In Niseko, it's most crowded from Dec27-Jan26. Also avoid the week of Chinese New Year if you can. That said, the crowds are relative - I've never truly seen it crowded like a North american powder day. The flip side of that is that IMHO, the clientele in the January is a bit more , how should I say it, "refined". It's Australian school holidays so there are more families.

Quote:

I can only comment on the Niseko and Rusutsu. I'd love to compare them with Hakuba and all the other places I've never been but there's only one machine in the world that does that, and Fattwins owns the only one in existence.

I love it even in a post when you try to give good advice you take a shot. Just remember you started the Niseko vs. whatever debate that didnt even exist until friday or Saturday your distaste for me must be that bad. Do you really think I have effected your business. According GN things had sold out long ago. Are you that scared to let the people know that your piste average is less than 20 degrees?

If you want to ski 20 to 25 degree stuff with some light snow then base yourself in Niseko. If you want any sort of terrain then think outside of the box.

the higashiyama side has the grand average of wait,,,, lets see,,,, wow its a gem...

12.6 degrees! ah heck ill round up 12.7 wow!!!!!!

Hirafu is even better it offers somewhat of a chanenge and a bit better average as there are more courses. Lets get extreme with 12.9 thats rounded up.

And last Annupuri 13.5 not bad really not bad at all.

19 posts all aimed at me! lets see where number 20 goes, maybe right at me original. Maybe one day you can actually contribute to the place instead of insulting its members and lurking to insult members.

Just cause you ski something so flat and heck about as big as teen age pimple, doesn't mean that you have to lash out at someone that actually skis what you dream about.