A bit of nihongo help - shibui and nigai

that's actually a bit of a toughie. I have seen shibui written as "astringent". As moloney said I think tangy might be the best word for it, but Im not quite sold on any translation I have seen for it. Nigai is definitely bitter.

Shibui is kinda used when something is pleasantly bitter, and nigai is downright bitter.

But like stated before, shibui also has other meanings. It is probably closer to the original meaning of `cool` (Like Miles Davis' Birth of Cool)than 'kakko ii'.

It also has connatations of something old as well, and its not always a compliment, it could mean that you look like an ojisan.

a 'shibui' voice is something like Tom Waits.

When shibui is used with iro (color), koe (voice), engi (performance), fuksoo (clothes), it's like simple elegance, refined or tasteful.

Negative-wise, it's more difficult to translate. Like Bushpi says, it's like an astringent taste. You can also used it to negatively describe kao (face), henji (answer) and hannoo (reaction).

You can also say 'kane ni shibui' which means stingy.

wow... a question about a word I know(!)... although tripitaka has beaten me to it with the post above.

'shibui' when used about someone's appearance or clothes means 'cool' in a mature grown up way... like all understated natural tones and textures, not shiny and flashy - 'matt cool' (!?)

CB I'm suprised at your rubbish answer! (for someone with japanese 10x better than me!)