I was just looking at the pic below in another thread. There's a pretty high single lift on there (I know it will be less high when theres lots of snow) but if someone accidentally fell off there and did some big damage, would the resort take any kind of responsibility for that? If not, why do some of the lifts go to great lengths to have all those safety bars and the like?

YuzawaNow_702.jpg

Aren't these just the kind of lifts that the daredevils love to jump off and hurtle off into the sunset?

Seriously - as the Mamabear I am always trying to protect the cubs, and youtube has got a few nasty lift falls to scare the pants off the overprotective! Lifts like these are usually higher up the mountain - usually accessing more difficult runs - so riders are more experienced. I would not be too happy letting my littlest bear cubs ride these - but the older cubs can go for it.

I like to ride with the cubs - actually just bought backpacks for the little bear cubs with a handle on the back - something for me to grab hold of to get the little dude ON (butt too close to the ground), and the 10yr old on his feet to get off(performance anxiety - he is worried about falling and stuffing the lift flow, so he freezes). A single like this would not appeal.

As far as liability.... Isn't it ride at your own risk? This is a sport where insurance cover is costly - it is costly for a reason! You can do like me - and not ride something you are not comfortable with. NOW - if you were in a Gondola and a cable snapped - you might have cause for litigous behaviour...but not if you fell off a swinging monkey bar!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Aren't these just the kind of lifts that the daredevils love to jump off and hurtle off into the sunset?

Seriously - as the Mamabear I am always trying to protect the cubs, and youtube has got a few nasty lift falls to scare the pants off the overprotective! Lifts like these are usually higher up the mountain - usually accessing more difficult runs - so riders are more experienced. I would not be too happy letting my littlest bear cubs ride these - but the older cubs can go for it.

I like to ride with the cubs - actually just bought backpacks for the little bear cubs with a handle on the back - something for me to grab hold of to get the little dude ON (butt too close to the ground), and the 10yr old on his feet to get off(performance anxiety - he is worried about falling and stuffing the lift flow, so he freezes). A single like this would not appeal.

As far as liability.... Isn't it ride at your own risk? This is a sport where insurance cover is costly - it is costly for a reason! You can do like me - and not ride something you are not comfortable with. NOW - if you were in a Gondola and a cable snapped - you might have cause for litigous behaviour...but not if you fell off a swinging monkey bar!

hahaha, this happened to me at Naeba about 4 years ago!! I just couldn't get the hang of coming off of the lift and would often fall before I got clear, one time my board leg got jammed under the lift and the thing stopped, the lifty had to lift it off of me. I'm ok now though....I hope!!!
 Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
hahaha, this happened to me at Naeba about 4 years ago!! I just couldn't get the hang of coming off of the lift and would often fall before I got clear, one time my board leg got jammed under the lift and the thing stopped, the lifty had to lift it off of me. I'm ok now though....I hope!!!

LOL - I can see thread turning into an "I fell off the lift/war stories thread!"

As for me - two noteable ones -
***the first time I rode the lift with anyone but an instructor/expereinced adult (bearing in mind I have a shocking fear of heights here!!)I was convinced to take the bear cub - also a beginner on a twin lift. I'm natural - he's goofy ...he kicked my board as we sat and it got dragged under the seat - I thought I had broken my knee - but a few pain killers and I came back for more.

***taking the cubs up the beginners run Friday Flat at Thredbo for a quick first warm up before lesson one day one second trip to snow. The women in front had no lessons, first timers and fell immediately upon getting off, they got hit by the chair and then sat and hugged each other laughing thier heads off. The liftie didn't stop the lift, or even yell at them to move until too late. I managed to push the cubs off to the side so they missed them and scooted through a teensy gap - but I had no option but to SMACK face first into one woman as she was just getting to her feet. Of course I moved out of the way AND dragged her out of the way before anyone else got hurt. Me - with the blood clotting disorder - got a MASSIVE bruise the size of a NY Steak on my leg where I landed on her board edge.

Moral of the story - once you have had a lesson on lift mounting/dismounting - get the hell off the beginner slopes! They are more dangerous than anywhere else!!
 Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Lifts like these are usually higher up the mountain - usually accessing more difficult runs - so riders are more experienced. I would not be too happy letting my littlest bear cubs ride these - but the older cubs can go for it.

I was riding a beginners chair in Whistler with my 2 kids when a 10 year old boy from the chair in front fell about 25 feet and hit the ground right in front of our eyes. I think he was OK in the end. Bloody scary though!

holy god just looked up some ski lift falls on you tube! Then there was a video of 2 climbers who fell to their death! Pretty grim stuff!!

Thankfully I havent had any major issues getting off the lifts. What has happened to me is that my ski gets caught somehow and I fall over! My friends told me it looks so funny! I still now dont understand what happens, cos its happened 4 or 5 times. This is probably a que for this year to be a nightmare.

Moloney, thats what happened with me. I'm like Mamabear's cub, I ride goofy so my board points across everyone else if I'm sitting on the outside (I feel its easier to get off of the outside) and I7d get up on the board then fall over just as the chair was swinging past and it would get stuck under the lift, my knee was pretty sore I can tell ya that!!

When I was in Meribel last year, we were about half way down the run when I looked over to the other side of the valley which was steep as hell and definitely off piste, there was this speck of a boarder negotiating his way down what looked to me like a sheer cliff face, next thing he tumbles and falls all the way down the mountain, we thought he was a goner but after lying down for a few mins he gets up and dusts himself off and gives us a wave and carried on his way!! It was pretty mental

Thats mad! I was watching a show there on NatGeo today about a tragedy in West Canada where 14 people were killed in 12 days. There was 7 school kids killed by an avalanche whilst they were doing cross country skiing. It was pretty terrible. The snow went down a valley and the valley turned to the right. Whilst it was turning it went up 120m on another slope (where the kids were) and took them all killing 7. They were 15. Reached speeds of 180km's! It was mad!

Thankfully I have never seen a bad accident with my own eyes. Dont really want to either! thumbsdown.gif

I managed to drop my mountain bike off the lift at Mt Buller in Australia. Just happened to be the highest part of the lift at about 35 metres. The bike flipped upside as it fell, and landed on the handlebars. managed to fold a brand new set of handlebars, but the rest of the bike was ok..... lucky I didnt fall....

I fell off the triple chair at Mt. Saint-Anne (near Quebec City) when I was about 10 years old. They were running the lift really fast because of crowds and it picked up my brother before he was at the line. I ended on top of him and quickly slid to a point where I was hanging off my mom's leg. The lifty wasn't paying attention and even with people yelling he didn't stop the lift until we got past the first tower. I ended up taking a 25-30 ft fall into soft snow (luckily, it could easily have been ice). One of the lifties had run to a spot 5-6 ft off from where I landed (not sure if he thought he try to catch me since i had skis on or just pick the pieces). Anyway, didn't get hurt and I got a big round of applause when I skied back to the lift line.