which resort to choose - Hakuba, Shiga Kogen or Nozawa Onsen?

Hi Everyone,

We are a family of four (kids are in late teenage years), new to skiiing in Japan. We are planning a trip in early Feb. The choice of resorts is a bit confusing and we would love some help in deciding which resort would suit us best - probably choosing from Hakuba, Shiga Kogen and Nozawa Onsen. We would like a resort with the following features:

[*]a longish beginners run not more than 15 degrees

[*]a good variety of intermediate snowboarding runs

[*]nearby areas of cultural interest for day or afternoon trip

[*]good onsens in the area

[*]a traditional ryoko to stay in which is within 5 mins walk to ski lift/run

Any suggestions and reasons as to choice would be most appreciated. If you suggest Shiga Konzen, please give an idea of which area is best to stay in.

thanks!!

Thanks for your replies so far.

Would it be feasible to stay in Nozawa Onsen and ski there for a few days and then ski for a few more days in Shiga Kogen, travelling there from Nozawa? Anyone know how long this would take?

If staying in Ichinose any recommendations on Japanese style accomodation close to slopes/lift preferably with onsen?

Thanks again for your quick answers.

A couple more questions on details:

*Can we easily rent ski gear in Nozawa Onsen - including ski pants, parkas etc?

*I noticed on this site that there are skiiing/snowboarding classes - are they available in English?

;\)

I should have been a bit more specific in my question.....

Does it take you from the village to a gondola or chair lift? If so from which places in the village does it go?

I checked the maps on this site and could not see it? Is there a map anywhere which shows it?

thanks

Speaking of these 3 resorts, I really want to go skiing one time before Christmas but I dont know where to go. Niseko would probably be best, but hard to get to from Tochigi. Which resort on Honshu generally has most snow by mid-December? Or is it not worth it before Christmas?

If you're going before Christmas, I would recommend checking the forecast and conditions just before you go, if possible - you probably wouldnt have to book hotels so far in advance as its not so busy at that time. Last year - a bad year, for snow - I went to Hakuba, I think 27th-30th December - when I arrived, there was no snow in the town and it was raining! Fortunately, Id checked the forecast and knew there was a cold front moving in - there was 1 metre in the town by the time I left!!

Cheers! I am looking at the daily reports here on SJ to get a feeling of the forecasts. When do these resorts start in normal years? I am dying to do something before I go to Ireland for Xmas. Anyways I will take your advice and wait. \:\)

I think different resorts have different opening dates - some higher resorts as early as end of November I think - weather depending of course. I had a day at Kagura a couple of weeks before Christmas last year - knee-deep powder and nobody there. The day before it was raining, and then they didnt get much more snow until after Christmas. I dont want to tempt fate, but I reckon you should have a pretty good chance of some reasonable conditions before your Ireland trip....especially if you can make a decision a couple of days before. They're expecting a bit of snow in Niigata over the next day or two....