Hi all im new to the forums! (well, i have been reading for a while now)

Can anyone give me some info on Iwanai ski resort. Are they opening at all this season? Are both lifts operating, or are they operating a cat skiing service? A similar discusssion took place on here named 'sneaky day trips from niseko' but nobody could answer if the resort was operating this year? Also, wat can i expect in regards to terrain?

Finally, how long does it take to drive to Iwanai from Hirafu and is it true it snows at the beach in iwanai?! Sorry for so many questions!!

I was thinking of heading out that way in February, but I'm fully planning on calling them first when the season gets going. It's a pretty remote area, so even if they are "open", I wouldn't be at all surprised if the operations are limited on weekdays. If you're going to be in Niseko or somewhere anyway, have one of the Japanese-speaking staff at your hotel/inn/pension give Iwanai a call before you head out.

Not sure yet on the terrain yet (I'll tell you after Feb. if all goes well! laugh.gif), but there was an interesting article here on SJ about the place that piqued my interest (you've probably read the same thing).

The drive will take a fair bit of time since I believe the road over the top is closed in winter, so you'll have to drive around to Tomari and head down the coast to Iwanai. Guessing less than two hours.

Yes it does snow on the beach - All over Hokkaido in winter in fact. Have you read anything about the beach there? Most of the "beaches" on that side are "rocky shoreline", with a few exceptions (like the grey sand beach in Ishikari, North of Otaru).

Katso we have snow to sea level here usually from the later half of Nov through to around mid March. Otaru (at sea level) regularly receives in excess of 7m of snow annually which is more than most high level ski resorts in the world get.

Originally Posted By: Kasto
...Does anyone have any pics of the 'beach' at Ishikari or Otaru (or anywhere in hokkaido)! covered in snow?

I'm pretty sure I have something - I'll take a look in the archives and post what I find next week. smile.gif
 Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
 Originally Posted By: thursday
why do you want to go to Otaru?

Cause I have never been there, I am there 20 days this year, we tend to ski two and go do something else the third.

don't go buying any of the crabs in Otaru, they are marked up outrageously compared to Sapporo.

ezorisu_19.jpg

This is the Ishikari coast all snowed-in. The beach that is nice in summer is way out on the far side of the bay. There are a few nice surfing breaks along the coast to the left toward Otaru.

Sorry - couldn't find any pics of snow "right up on the beach" - If I'm not mistaken I have some somewhere... just couldn't find them.

• 1 month later...

Just some info for those interested in checking out Iwanai.

I drove up there today,they had one lift running that went pretty much nowhere. They are now running a snowcat operation tuesday,thursday and saturday that will take you up to 700m for 10,000 yen or NAC does trips out there for 24,000 yen. From the looks of it they dont run the other lifts anymore and the upper ski runs are starting to reclaimed by shrubs. Snow cover was was a bit thin and some of the disused runs had alot of shrubbery sticking out....still reckon it would need about another meter to make it worthwhile. There was probably only 20 skiers at the hill max....bit of a ghost town really. The gyu don at the cafe was not bad and people seemed friendly.

If we start to get some decent snowfalls I might head over there in a few weeks.