anything...... bloody anything..... is cheaper outside england...... anywhere..... ok maybe not norway. just paid almost 90 quid for a new british passport.

sorry, skis & boots? lots & lots of shops in tokyo to choose from, you could find a good deal. compared to snow & rock in london, for example, yahh you should be able to find something cheaper than those inflated prices. last years gear always a good idea. depends how big your feet are too, might be a little tricky to find large sizes in japan.

good luck!

Try the oddly-named but very helpful Wangel in Jimbocho:

http://www.wangel.jp

Though if you are coming to Japan just to ski it'd be better to check that they have what you want before you come - they can set aside for you to decide when you get here, if you're polite enough.

Whatever the case, you have a lot more choice in Tokyo than in London and here you can bargain between shops. The 'backstreet' boys like wangel are often more competitive than the likes of Victoria, in my experience.

Quote:
Soapland is a Japanese word for a type of brothel where men (hereinafter called "client") can be bathed with female prostitutes (hereinafter called "companion")(there are a few for female clientele).

That made me laugh. Soapland and companions sound so much nicer than brothel and prostitutes don't they?

Hey just a quick question to any experts here on the forums: I went to buy my first skis (ever) yesterday and the dude in the shop recommended the following skis

Volkl AC3 skis were the recomendation (177 cms). Anyone got any advice?

The reviews I have read have been in the main positive, however there was one bad review. Any help will be appreciated.

Size: 182cm

Weight: 88kg's but I have a target weight of 85kg

Ability: Intermediate (began skiing in Jan '06 but have done a heap load of skiing). I plan to do lots of skiing this winter and get a lot better!!!

Style: tips on how to answer this?

Preferences: I like to vary i.e. turns, speed etc. but not sure if that answers your question?!

Mainly carve turns. Groomers up to now, moguls I've tried but will probably do more this season. Off-piste - again I will be a bit more adventerous this year.

What I am trying to improve is my technique. Toward the end of last season I was still struggling on black slopes especially turning quick enough and controlling speed. So I would end up getting a mouthful of snow! \:\) I am still learning but learning pretty fast. I still need some improvement on my carving!

I lack some knowledge of all the terminology for skiing! Up to now I have just put on the boots and skied!

It's a Giant Slalom ski, and strongly waisted, so it will definitely carve. It's about 1cm wider all way than my carvers, so it should give some float in soft snow too.

It looks like a pretty good ski to grow into. The AC3 is last year's model though, so I hope the shop is offering a discount.

I'm no gear expert though, so expect to hear a range of advice from others.