I was wonder when you living in Japan how many friends you have are Japanese or other foreigners in community?

I know a few people here from US and UK. One has only Japanese friends, I think he is his choice. The other is like opposite, with only few Japanese friends.

How about you?

Mostly foreigners when I was living in Japan, and barely any of the Japanse friends I had were my age (most much older). I guess I was just lazy and existed within the gaijin bubble.

It seems to change year by year, when I was working JET and eikaiwa I had more foreign friends than now. I think it's good to have a mix of both but I don't really think about it when I make new friends. Whether I like the person or not is more important.

I think that people who make friends based on nationality are missing out on a lot of potentially good friends. Also with only friends from one group you miss out on a part of the whole living in Japan thing. I have met a few forigners who reject all other foreigners and make a conscious effort to only have Japanese friends. Weird.