Last season was my first in Japan and first back on skis for quite a while. I picked up boots but rented skis all season. This season needs to be different. I was planning on picking up some all-rounders (maybe from volkl AC-something range) and then something leaning towards powder later, but thinking more about what I want to do this season (and a couple of viewings of Waiting Game and Respect) have convinced me that I should prioritize the skis that will let me take my skiing where I want to go. I'm thinking Gotama, because I hear they are reasonable on piste as well.

I am 175cm and weigh 64kg. I am a decent intermediate skier and enjoying speed and trees. Not too concerned with carving perfect mini-turns (but working on those too!). Of the rental (piste) skis that I used last year, those in the 170cm range seemed most comfortable (although couldn't easily get longer in Japan). I was looking at Wangel, they have last year's models in stock in 177 (http://wangel.jp/ski/_volkl.html). Do you think this would be a good length for me for this type of ski?

Also, you can see on that page that there are three different binding combos. Is the more expensive combo an alpine binding (detachable heel)? Even though I find it hard to imagine hiking with skins being a comfortable prospect and would imagine that getting the skis on your pack and walking up the old-fashioned way would be easier, it seems that most of you with real Japan experience are skins fans. Do you think that alpine bindings require much of a sacrifice in terms of ski stability over conventional bindings? If not, I guess they should be the ones I go for, although I am a little price-sensitive right now. Anyway, will go to Ochanomizu next week and see what's available.

Thanks for reading the long post.

You will be fine in a 175or there abouts ski. If you arent a crazier skier then go shorter for the trees. Im 173 75kgs but use 185 to 190. That said I am advanced and want more speed out of a ski.

bindings what are your choices? PS walking in deep snow blows goats and takes hours.

I wrote "alpine" bindings but of course what I meant to write was "touring". Anyway, I realised that all of the bindings offered as a set on the Wangel page are actually regular alpine bindings, so let's ignore that. Instead, what touring bindings do you guys use? In case I haven't got the terminology correct, I mean the kind of bindings which click in as normal but have a detachable heel for when you are walking. As I've mentioned, I want to develop some kind of BC skills, but I also have to be realistic and consider that none of my friends will likely want to join me in this endeavour. This means that aside from going on courses with Evergreen or whoever, in the near future I will mainly be on groomers or just off piste. This means that I might be better off not getting touring bindings if they are noticeably worse on-piste. What do you think? Am I worrying about nothing? There are some threads on this at other forums but I never know who really knows what they are on about, whereas as a fairly longtime SJ lurker I know that you guys have the experience to back up the talk.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
183 with freeride bindings and skins, the only way to go...

Ahh... a little mroe research showed me that freeride is actually a brand, so you already answered my question. They seem to be pretty popular. Wangel seem to have a combo Gotama and Duke (freeride) bindings set so maybe I'll look into that...

Haven't bought yet.

I'm an old man with a bad back, stuffed knees and a no-fall policy. A serious stack could finish my skiing forever. I've been skiing for three seasons on DIN 5, and never had a fall or a release. I'm skiing better now than I ever have, hence the move onto Apachie Chiefs and Naxos. This winter, I'm hunting powder.

KOM-

I ride a 183 Gotama/fritche. I'm just a bit bigger than you. 77kgs.

If this is going to be your primary ski, you may want to consider the duke. I don't have any experience with it, but I quite dislike the "play" in fritches. They're really flexible bindings. I don't notice it in pow, but once I hit groomers, it's as plain as day. (but I do like how lightweight they are in pow.)

I'd recommend the 183. Gotamas ski really short. I personally wish I had the 190. My next pow ski will not be below 190. Also, length = float = maneuverability. I ski really tight trees and still wish I had a longer gotama because I feel it would be even easier to butter around. not that my 183 is difficult by any stretch of the imagination. Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how easy pow has become since getting on this ski. (I have the first generation)

When in doubt, go longer, imo.

Originally Posted By: samurai
KOM-

I ride a 183 Gotama/fritche. I'm just a bit bigger than you. 77kgs.

You are also considerably better than me.... but seriously, it does appear that people are tending to recommend length. Hopefully I can find something in Ochanomizu next weekend. I will try and find the debat that soubs mentions before I make any decisions on the bindings.

Another thought for you.

177 = majority of time on piste.

183 = majority of time off piste.

(Truthfully, once you become comfortable on this ski, you will be chasing terrain off piste.)

Perhaps you can view the Gotama as an acquired taste. Admitedly, I didn't like it at first. It was too straight and boring on piste. But then I rode it off piste. It's not my piste ski.

If this will be used very often on piste, you may want to consider the 177 but only for the sidecut it provides. The shorter length = more drastic sidecut = more fun arcing turns. That's it.

Personally, I think you'll grow into a longer length and grow out of a shorter length. And personally, I don't like replacing skis because they are too short. Broken... no problem. But too short is frustrating.

Having some problems finding the 07 in 183. Can't really afford to go with the 08 model right now. That leaves me with the 176. I think I'd probably be very happy with this but posts like Samurai's do make me wonder...

Any other recommendations in a similar style that I might be able to find in a slightly bigger length? Obviously the searching's my problem but if I widen my choice then I'm more likely to find something in a longer length. I'm even starting to think of slightly less powder-biased skis like Karma or Mantra (for some reason I only really know Volkl)... no serious interest in park but hear that Karma are great all-round and still perform on powder, and Mantra perform all over the place. Sometimes I wonder if I have the experience on the soft stuff to even be able to truly tell the difference between skis once they get over a certain width.

Just wish I was a little more decisive...

well said FT. I like excuses to buy new skis. And the learning curve would be a blast.

When you purchase for versatility, as the 177 would give you, you have to sacrifice something. But I don't think your sacrifice with the 177 is all that big.

as far as others are concerned, there are heeps of of skis I could recommend that would make you happy. Is there anything specific that you have access to? Salomon has a big presence in Japan and they are also very user friendly skis. The gun comes to mind as a ski that is left over at a shop in sendai. or was.

and I would recommend the mantra over the karma due to its versatility.

just my 2 yen.

you got yourself a rocking ski! Be careful early season!

get a base-prep wax on them so your wax jobs last longer. They're big skis and they suck when they're sticking to the snow. They're also exhausting when they stick to the snow.

Have the shop set them at 1 degree base bevel and 2 or 3 degree side bevel. Buy a matching 2 or 3 degree side bevel guide, a clean file (for smoothing out damage) and a diamond stone for daily polishing. Only use the file when you have rock damage. But a quick swipe with a diamond on a daily basis will keep them like new forever. (use the stone wet.)

They should have come from the factory set at 1/base and 2/side.

Then go the auto parts store and get some good stickers.

trust me, round edges on those skis on groomers is not all that fun.

Keep 'em new, and welcome to the world of easy riding.